187Bowe origin as a Surname

  • jbowes110
    Oct 12, 2010
      Martha has uncovered the 'fact' that my line is old Irish not English.

      I am trying to research how we might have become Bowe if we belonged to the Carroll Clan. (Please keep in mind this find about the Carroll clan applies to only some in this surname group.) In my readings I discovered that the Carroll clan lived on good grazing land and kept cattle. I also read that bow was the gaelic word for cow. It isn't a far stretch to see how these two facts might be related. If our ancestors kept bow for a livelihood that might explain our surname. It is a good guess anyway.

      Comments?
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic