18Bowes Origins in England

    Jan 4, 2009
      --- In bowesvariantsdna@yahoogroups.com, Allen Bowes <bowes2000@...> wrote:

      > Martha it is of course possible that Bulmer's scpeticism was misplaced, however we are
      still kleft with the fact that Bowes village was previously called Bogis, itself of Saxon
      origin, that predates the de Arcubus story by several hundred years. Regards

      Jeff, I think where our conversation may be getting a little confused is that when I think of
      the English origin of the surname, I automatically think in terms of all possible English
      Bowes *lineages,* for which, as we agree, there are probably multiple origins from
      England, albeit (at least mostly) stemming from the same general area (as shown in
      surname distribution maps). From that perspective it has sounded confusing to me to look
      for "a" Bowes origin in England. But I think I see now that you are not speaking so much
      of the origin*s* of different English Bowes lineages, as you are looking for first
      occurrences and uses of the name there and how it came about. And perhaps all English
      Bowes ultimately have their surname origin in the place name, as opposed to links to
      heroic deeds and an army of archers or some other lineage stories that could emerge. If I
      had realized your perspective before, I wouldn't have misunderstood your desire to lay to
      rest the notion that William de Arcubus is the "original origin" of the surname. I
      wholeheartedly agree that he isn't. I think your research showing the Anglo Saxon and
      Danish influence and early place names does signify the first use of some version of the
      name Bowes in England. Whether there's a William de Arcubus progenitor of one lineage is
      an interesting topic for the Bowes One-Name Study because so many people with the
      name believe the story and there's indication it may be inaccurate at best, completely
      wrong at worst. So for the One-Name Study I think it's important to research that as much
      as possible.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic