147Second DNA Participant to Get an R1b Subclade Result of R1b1b2a1b5b

    Mar 22, 2009
      We now have two R1b groups belonging to this subclade, but they are unrelated in a genealogically meaningful time frame (which is why they are in separate subgroups). All I can find on this subclade is at Wikipedia:

      "Early results as of November 2008 suggest that R1b1b2a1b5/R-L21/R-P312 is common in the British Isles, and is yet to be observed so far in Iberian [Spanish and Portuguese] ancestry. Its subclade R-M222 is particularly associated with the Irish and Scots. In this case, the relatively high frequency of this specific subclade among the population of certain counties in northwestern Ireland may be due to positive social selection, as R1b1b2a1b6b is believed to have been the Y-chromosome haplogroup of the kings of the Uí Néill clan of ancient Ireland."

      I'm not sure I understand what is meant by "due to positive social selection" and its relationship to R1b1b2a1b6b.

      If anyone can help explain this subclade, or later finds anything on it, I hope you'll post here.

      Thanks, Martha
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic