14Re: Bowes Coat of Arms Enquiry

    Jan 3, 2009
      I also find this:

      "Heralds have been associated with households of royalty and nobility since the 12th
      Century. In early times they might perform duties as diplomats, messengers or army staff
      officers and possess great knowledge of the symbols used to adorn shields and banners."

      At:

      http://www.burkes-peerage.net/articles/re_collegeofarms.aspx

      I'm beginning to wonder if Bulmer (quoted at Genuki) was wrong and the other text was
      right. Bulmer might have thought arms only came into use when their function had just
      changed from battle and contest use, to more status-driven symbolic and antiquarian use?

      I'm beginning to wonder where the "glaring" oversight was in the William de Arcubus story.
      Maybe I just need sleep.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic