13Bowes Coat of Arms Enquiry

    Jan 3, 2009
      I decided to take this to the top source in the galaxy and submitted the following at the
      College of Arms website. I stretched the possibility that the Arcubus might be true
      because I had to prove I'd read the website or they say they might not answer. It was this
      line there that made me feel I should find out from the College what *is* the story of the
      Bowes COA, whatever it is: "In mediaeval times, there were heralds in the service both of
      the monarch and of certain great noblemen. Heralds were part of the royal household in
      the thirteenth century and perhaps as early as the twelfth century." I think that covers
      when the Bowes Castle was built? I fear the fee will be steep to get this information:

      "I am registering the Bowes surname for a One-Name Study through the Guild of One-
      Name Studies, so I am studying all Bowes pedigrees. I am not personally interested in
      using the Bowes coat of arms. There is confusion among Bowes researchers about when,
      where and how the Bowes COA originated. In 1838 John Burke wrote ""A Genealogical and
      Heraldic History of the Commoners of Great Britain and Ireland" and quoted a monastery
      manuscript asserting the Bowes COA stems from the time of a contemporary of William
      the Conqueror. Confusion among Bowes researchers arises from Bulmer's History and
      Directory of North Yorkshire (1890): "There is a tradition recorded in a MS. which belonged
      to the monastery of St. Mary, York, and related in the Bowes pedigree, that Alan Niger,
      Earl of Richmond, in defence of the honor against the men of Cumberland and
      Westmoreland, who rebelled against the Conqueror, and with Gospatric, Earl of
      Northumberland, adhered to the King of Scots, built for himself the tower of Bowes, and
      placed therein his cousin William with 500 archers, and gave him a shield with the arms of
      Brittany, and three bows over them; and a bundle of arrows for his crest, whence this
      William was afterwards called William de Arcubus. This done into English is Bowes (bows)
      which became the surname of his descendants. Unfortunately for the truth of the
      tradition, there is a glaring anachronism. Crests and coats of arms did not come into use
      in England till long after the time of Earl Alan. From the researches of General Harrison
      among the Pipe Rolls, it appears that the castle was begun by Henry II. in 1171, and
      completely finished in 1187, at a cost of £353. Osbert, son of Fulco de Bowes, was one of
      the King's commissioners for superintending the erection of the castle, and this appears
      to have been the only connection the family had with the fortress." Looking at the
      College's history page it appears not impossible that the arms were granted in the 12th c..
      Can the College confirm, deny or clarify this story? If it is wrong, when, where, to whom,
      and why was the Bowes COA granted?

      Regards, Martha Bowes
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic