127Re: To Sullivan or Not To Sullivan?

    Feb 2, 2009
      Thanks for the clarification. Whenever I've seen Corca Laiodhe mentioned, it's always with
      (S.W. Cork) after, and never made it clear it referred to a group of people, leading me for
      some time now to believe it was a place inhabited by some of the Eoghanacht, including
      the O'Buadaigh sept mentioned in the Eoghanacht Genealogies! In fact, I see now that
      MacLysaght's wording in "More Irish Families" (1960) is: "The sept was located in the
      Corca Laoidhe country (south-west of Cork)...," not at all indicating they were part of the
      original Corca Laoidhe people. Anyway, I googled the "Book of Ballymote," which must be
      the earlier reference you mention, but can't find any mention online of it mentioning
      Buadaigh. I'm not doubting it does, but if you come across a specific mention I'd like to
      store it away.

      As to "O'Sulivans who had adopted the name 'Buadhach/Budhaigh' , almost as a 'first'
      name as we would now call it." ... I see now you were including the O'Buadaigh part as
      one of the first name examples, while I saw it as distinct since it is presented as a
      Sullivan line adopting it as a surname: "Maolodhar son of Sealbach had five sons ... Buadhach, from whom the Ui Buadaigh." That's not to say it's an accurate account of
      what happened or the origin of any Gaelic Bowe-s.

      --- In bowesgenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Allen Bowes <bowes2000@...> wrote:

      > Corca Laiodhe was a grouping of peoples living in a specifci geogtraphic region, ie: SW
      Cork, the O'Buadhaigh were linked with them long before the Irish Annals were
      composed and Woulfe arrived on the scene.

      Eoghans
      > tribe asdo the McCarthys , O' Learys , O Callaghans,Flynns , Cullinanes , O Donovans
      .A
      > son of
      > > this tribe married a daughter of the King of the Picks in Scotland, and as Ryan Air
      > wasnt flying
      > > then the logistics are mind boggling , I think these tribes must have moved over
      great
      > BRittain.
      > > The Vikings saw off the Picts ,so the gene pool must be diverse.And Michael O Leary
      is
      > one of THe Egonactha.The invading Irish tribes in Scotland called themselves
      > Scotsaccording to
      > > Great Migrations,Penquin History of The Vikings byDr. John Haywood.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic