121Re: To Sullivan or Not To Sullivan?

    Feb 2, 2009
      I think Corca Laiaodhe just refers to location. Our Files sections has the Eoghanacht
      Genealogies in .doc format. I pulled this from the internet long ago, so can't verify it
      detail by detail. O'Buadaigh falls in a "minor branch" of the O'Sullivans, so not sure why
      Woulfe says they're not related.

      I have a thought of making a gedcom of this document that is a lot easier to track and
      view reports from. Also thinking of starting a Family Tree DNA group specifically to study
      the names in the Eoghanacht Genealogies and see if the anglicized surnames correspond
      as they should by DNA. What better way to put the accuracy of this old text to the test
      and to learn the DNA signatures of this group? Unfortunately I can think of far more
      genealogy projects than I have time for and my hands are overfull. Do you think you'd be
      interested in administering such a group at FTDNA Jeff?

      --- In bowesgenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Allen Bowes <bowes2000@...> wrote:

      > Bang-on Frank
      >
      > O'Sullivan's are associated with the Eoghanacta indeed, not so sure about the O'
      Buadhaigh they (we??) are more closely linked with the Corca Laiaodhe.

      tribe asdo the McCarthys , O' Learys , O Callaghans,Flynns , Cullinanes , O Donovans .A
      son of
      > this tribe married a daughter of the King of the Picks in Scotland, and as Ryan Air
      wasnt flying
      > then the logistics are mind boggling , I think these tribes must have moved over great
      BRittain.
      > The Vikings saw off the Picts ,so the gene pool must be diverse.And Michael O Leary is
      one of THe Egonactha.The invading Irish tribes in Scotland called themselves
      Scotsaccording to
      > Great Migrations,Penquin History of The Vikings byDr. John Haywood.

      Century references naming some O'Sulivans who had adopted the name
      'Buadhach/Budhaigh' , almost as a 'first' name as we would now call it. The association
      with the Corca Laoidhe is earlier and perhaps more reliable.

      O'Donovan
      > says that they considered themselves to be a branch of the O'Sullivans who had
      adopted
      > this alternative surname. Woulfe, however, states that there is no such kinship."
      >
      > Another assertion by Woulfe to keep in the back of our minds and hope for clarification
      > some day.
      >
      > I noted that MacLysaght and Woulfe both have extensive bibliographies in their works
      (but unfortunately did not use footnotes!), but while MacLysaught' s consist primarily of
      works on
      > specific families written by those families (hard to judge the accuracy of all those),
      Woulfe's
      > seem to consist more of historical documents. I need to focus in more on this
      difference.
      > They both appear to be respected researchers. O' Donovan is new to me.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic