108Re: [bowesgenealogy] Re: New Academic Study Being Planned for Males from Bowes Area of England ...

    Jan 31, 2009
      Anglo derives from 'Angli'[ which meant......Saxon ,so Anglo Saxon means 'Saxon-Saxon' these peoples came from what we now call Southern Denmark, Frisia (Holland) and Northern Germany.

      <martha.bowes@...> wrote:
      From: mhbowes11 <martha.bowes@...>
      Subject: [bowesgenealogy] Re: New Academic Study Being Planned for Males from Bowes Area of England ...
      To: bowesgenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, 31 January, 2009, 5:24 PM

      Meaning most Anglo-Saxons who went to S. England came directly from Germany, while
      some Anglo-Saxons who had migrated up to Denmark, then came down into N. England,
      making a heavier influx in S. England, with a smaller but significant percentage in N.
      England?

      --- In bowesgenealogy@ yahoogroups. com, Allen Bowes <bowes2000@. ..> wrote:

      > Hold on to the fact that the name Bowes is strongly attached to North
      Yorkshire/Durham, which just happened to have experienced considerable Danish influx
      during the 8th to 10th Centuries

      Bowes Area of England ...
      > To: bowesgenealogy@ yahoogroups. com
      > Date: Saturday, 31 January, 2009, 2:29 PM
      >

      > Oops, now it appears the forum poster was more accurate and there is a different
      study
      > of Viking DNA in Yorkshire area:
      >
      > An interesting mention at the bottom of the article: http://www.yorkshir epost.co.
      uk/news/39Time- team39-to- seek-out. 4930477.jp

      > "Most Northerners have either Celtic or Viking blood running through their veins.
      >
      > Although we also think or ourselves as mixed with the French, that is not strictly true.
      > Historians say the Normans merely established a ruling class to run England after the
      > 1066 Conquest and there is no evidence of much movement by ordinary French people
      > to England.
      >
      > Although we speak English, Anglo Saxon genes are weak in the North because settlers
      > showed little inclination to move into Celtic territory."
      >
      > My father's Bowes, Viking Y-DNA has been estimated Anglo-Saxon, leaning toward
      > German by Ken Nordvedt, so maybe there are exceptions to Anglo-Saxons up north,
      or
      > maybe Ken's research isn't on point yet, or maybe my line was a Bowes originating in
      > another part of England for some reason.
      >
      > Martha
      >
      > --- In bowesgenealogy@ yahoogroups. com, "mhbowes11" <martha.bowes@ ...>
      wrote:

      > > I guess the forum poster was a little off, in that the study is not as much about
      genetic
      > > makeup of the region, as it is about whether surname/Y-DNA databases can help
      > > forensic investigators identify a person who is unidentified! There is a 3rd bullet:
      > >
      > > "We will also use surnames to find groups of men who share common paternal
      > ancestors,
      > > and then assess the increased efficiency of searching for shared segments in other
      > parts
      > > of the genome in these groups. Our goal here is the demonstration that the amount
      of
      > > shared DNA fits predictions from family trees, and that Y chromosome type can
      predict
      > > general genetic relatedness. This could then be applied to searches for genes
      involved
      > in
      > > disease."
      > >
      > > Official site: http://www.le. ac.uk/genetics/ maj4/NewSurnames .html
      > >

      > > --- In bowesgenealogy@ yahoogroups. com, "mhbowes11" <martha.bowes@ >
      wrote:

      > > > From a Guild forum post:
      > > >
      > > > "There has been an interesting account in today's Yorkshire Post concerning a
      > > proposed
      > > > DNA investigation by Leics University who conducted the investigation in the
      > > Wirral/West
      > > > Lancs, recently publicised on the Forum (and in our message list). They are
      seeking
      > > men
      > > > whose father's father was born in Cumbria, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Yorkshire,
      > > Durham
      > > > or Northumberland. The use of modern county titles is somewhat confusing,
      North
      > > Yorks
      > > > includes a very large chunk of the old West Riding - the wider Skipton area etc.,
      > where
      > > > Oddys occurred. I have emailed Dr King to say I would publicise the project on the
      > > Guild
      > > > Forum. The samples will be swabs sent through the post. There is no indication of
      > > time
      > > > scale, that probably depends on response. I hope it may be of interest to some
      > > GoONS."
      > > >
      > > > I plan to post this to our surname message boards on the web where there are a
      > > number of
      > > > posters from that area who've never contacted me re: our DNA study. The study
      > might
      > > not
      > > > say a lot about our surname specifically, but would be nice to be "represented. "
      > We're
      > > > certainly an established name there with a matching town name to boot.

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic