102Re: New Academic Study Being Planned for Males from Bowes Area of England ...

    Jan 31, 2009
      I guess the forum poster was a little off, in that the study is not as much about genetic
      makeup of the region, as it is about whether surname/Y-DNA databases can help
      forensic investigators identify a person who is unidentified! There is a 3rd bullet:

      "We will also use surnames to find groups of men who share common paternal ancestors,
      and then assess the increased efficiency of searching for shared segments in other parts
      of the genome in these groups. Our goal here is the demonstration that the amount of
      shared DNA fits predictions from family trees, and that Y chromosome type can predict
      general genetic relatedness. This could then be applied to searches for genes involved in

      Official site: http://www.le.ac.uk/genetics/maj4/NewSurnames.html

      --- In bowesgenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "mhbowes11" <martha.bowes@...> wrote:
      > From a Guild forum post:
      > "There has been an interesting account in today's Yorkshire Post concerning a
      > DNA investigation by Leics University who conducted the investigation in the
      > Lancs, recently publicised on the Forum (and in our message list). They are seeking
      > whose father's father was born in Cumbria, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Yorkshire,
      > or Northumberland. The use of modern county titles is somewhat confusing, North
      > includes a very large chunk of the old West Riding - the wider Skipton area etc., where
      > Oddys occurred. I have emailed Dr King to say I would publicise the project on the
      > Forum. The samples will be swabs sent through the post. There is no indication of
      > scale, that probably depends on response. I hope it may be of interest to some
      > I plan to post this to our surname message boards on the web where there are a
      number of
      > posters from that area who've never contacted me re: our DNA study. The study might
      > say a lot about our surname specifically, but would be nice to be "represented." We're
      > certainly an established name there with a matching town name to boot.
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic