Center of the Fifty U.S. States

  • spookymike@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2, 2008
      Nice NY Times article and pic on the current state of the center of the 50 states:

      http://tinyurl.com/5fn9rl

      Mike S.

      **************
    • aletheiak
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 5, 2008
        haha
        very spooky of you mike

        & as you probably also realize
        in a multipunctilious place like our bpp here it has to be observed
        such a hypothetical & nonmultiple point as this is actually not fixed
        nor fixable
        but is in constant motion in reality
        thanx to constantly shifting tides & ongoing erosion & accretion etc

        & so
        tho it can be approximated for loose thinking folks
        it could never be monumented accurately enough nor durably enough for
        living in the moment of truth with our pinpointy purposes

        --- In boundarypointpoint@yahoogroups.com, spookymike@... wrote:

        > Nice NY Times article and pic on the current state of the center of
        the 50
        > states:
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/5fn9rl
        >
        > Mike S.
        >

        > **************
        > Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with
        > Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.
        > (http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4&
        > ?NCID=aolfod00030000000002)

      • nj55er
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
          Au Contraire, mon ami (pardon my French),

          All one needs to do is to pick up the actual U.S., grind down the
          rough spots, flatten it to geometric planar [non]thickness, undo the
          surface curvature, then balance it on a "pin" whose tip is a point in
          the geometric sense. Note where the single balance-point is located,
          and voila, you have the center of the U.S. What's so tough about
          that?? ;-))

          Mike S.

          --- In boundarypointpoint@yahoogroups.com, "aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>
          wrote:

          > haha
          > very spooky of you mike
          >
          > & as you probably also realize
          > in a multipunctilious place like our bpp here it has to be observed
          > such a hypothetical & nonmultiple point as this is actually not fixed
          > nor fixable
          > but is in constant motion in reality
          > thanx to constantly shifting tides & ongoing erosion & accretion etc
          >
          > & so
          > tho it can be approximated for loose thinking folks
          > it could never be monumented accurately enough nor durably enough for
          > living in the moment of truth with our pinpointy purposes
          >
          > --- In boundarypointpoint@yahoogroups.com, spookymike@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Nice NY Times article and pic on the current state of the center of
          > the 50
          > > states:
          > >
          > > http://tinyurl.com/5fn9rl
          > >
          > > Mike S.
          > >

          > > **************
          > > Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with
          > > Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.
          > > (http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4&
          > > ?NCID=aolfod00030000000002)

        • aletheia kallos
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008

            of course if you grind down the rough spots etc etc etc

            but thats my point

            in actual reality this supposed center

            p o i n t

            is only imaginary

            approximative

            & frankly bogus

            because it doesnt & cant balance perfectly at all

            even if the balance point werent in constant motion

            & thats whats so tough about that

            or so it still seems to me

            wrote:

            > haha
            > very spooky of you mike
            >
            > & as you probably also realize
            > in a multipunctilious place like our bpp here it has to be observed
            > such a hypothetical & nonmultiple point as this is actually not fixed
            > nor fixable
            > but is in constant motion in reality
            > thanx to constantly shifting tides & ongoing erosion & accretion etc
            >
            > & so
            > tho it can be approximated for loose thinking folks
            > it could never be monumented accurately enough nor durably enough for
            > living in the moment of truth with our pinpointy purposes
            >
            > --- In boundarypointpoint@ yahoogroups. com, spookymike@ wrote:
            > >
            > > Nice NY Times article and pic on the current state of the center of
            > the 50
            > > states:
            > >
            > > http://tinyurl. com/5fn9rl
            > >
            > > Mike S.
            > >

            > > ************ **
            > > Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with
            > > Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.
            > > (http://food. aol.com/tyler- florence? video=4&amp;
            > > ?NCID=aolfod0003000 0000002)

          • Roger McCutcheon
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
              Mike S. wrote: 'Au contraire, mon ami....'. Mais où vous tiendriez-vous
              donc?: but where would you stand? Roger & out.
            • aletheia kallos
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
                huh
                i am sitting in the center of sunderland massachusetts at the moment
                if thats what you mean
                so if i stood
                i suppose it would be right here

                or at least my standing would be centered here
                if necessarily sundered in sunderland
                so its whereness might be more multiple & spaced out than ever
                i suppose very much enlarging the scope of your interest

                but could you rephrase the question if necessary

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
                  You are of course correct. It is totally bogus. However, I just
                  watched an episode of Star Trek Voyager featuring the omnipotent
                  beings known as "Q," That is the missing ingredient--once you are
                  omnipotent, you don't need a place to stand and can do all the
                  nonsensical things I mentioned. Of course you could also instantly
                  transport yourself to even the most difficult to reach multipoints,
                  but then this hobby would become boring....C'est la vie.....

                  -- In boundarypointpoint@yahoogroups.com, aletheia kallos

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 7, 2008
                    I was thinking of Archimedes (218-212 BC) the Greek mathematician who has
                    a reasonable claim to being the most intelligent person ever, and who said
                    'give me a place to stand, and I will move the earth', or words in ancient
                    Greek to that effect. It's a matter of leverage: did the Earth move for
                    you? Roger & out.
                  • aletheia kallos
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 7, 2008
                      haha aha eureka
                      good one
                      & yes the earth does seem to have moved for me
                      as i am now in none other than madbury
                      believe it or not
                      new hampshire

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 7, 2008
                        well you know mike we can already do that now with google earth
                        & it may have stifled my physical adventuring a bit
                        or enhanced my armchair adventuring

                        not sure which

                        maybe at my age the armchair grows more apt
                        but i am still out here cruising thru madbury this morning at least

                        & yikes i thought we were omnipotent
                        at least in relation to ourselves

                        oh well
                        anything is still possible