finoru was Re: SV: SV: SV: [boundarypointpoint] ltplru

  • aletheia kallos
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 1, 2007
      yes
      thanx
      congrats on all of it
      but you are referring us here at bpp just to your 4
      fine finoru pix there
      i assume

      & possibly offering a good case in point about growing
      less trypointy

      for didnt you also try to climb the cairn so as to
      touch & or photograph clearly the actual vertex point
      of the pyramid

      & presumably all here at bpp
      would love to hear more about how your actual tripoint
      try went & how close you reached there

      for
      somehow
      for some reason
      we have never seen a pic nor even heard a report of
      anyone trying to scale the finoru tripoint monument
      let alone actually reaching the tripoint

      & this has always mystified & continues to mystify me

      but did i miss this fine point
      or anything else trypointy

      i would love to hear or see more from you about this

      for maybe you are just saving your final finoru piece
      de resistance for us here at bpp
      where the actual state of the try is still of interest

      --- Jesper Nielsen/Borderbase <jesper@...>
      wrote:

      > _____

      Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
    • Jesper Nielsen/Borderbase
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 1, 2007

        Climbing FINORU is hard for two reasons:

        1) Quite tall

        2) Two permant NO soldiers are guarding the place to make sure nobody even touches RU air space, and if so the violater will be severely punished

        Jesper

        --- Jesper Nielsen/Borderbase <jesper@nicolette. dk>
        wrote:

        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/borderpoin t/message/ 1680

        > _____
        >
        > Fra: boundarypointpoint@ yahoogroups. com

        Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
        http://search. yahoo.com/ search?fr= oni_on_mail& p=graduation+ gifts&cs= bz

      • aletheia kallos
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
          aha
          thanx
          so this courageous lady
          http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/3571/turpic02.gif
          would still appear to be the queen of the try

          wrote:

          > Climbing FINORU is hard for two reasons:
          >

          > 1) Quite tall
          >
          > 2) Two permant NO soldiers are guarding the place to
          > make sure nobody even
          > touches RU air space, and if so the violater will be
          > severely punished
          >

          > Jesper
          >

          > _____

          === message truncated ===

          http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
        • Jesper Nielsen/Borderbase
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007

            Not brave

            Standing in non-Russian territory like the rest of us

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
              right
              & so what is to prevent her or anyone from just
              turning around there to face the tripoint
              & then stepping 1 or 2 toeholds up the cairn if
              necessary
              to reach toward the pyramid apex with a single
              outstretched finger
              along the norwegian face of the pyramid only
              & thus remaining completely within the norwegian half
              of the trifinium at all times

              to approach & even touch this one side of the tripoint
              with the tip of ones fingernail
              it would not be necessary to intrude even a millimeter
              beyond the tripoint into russia
              nor even a millimeter beyond the tripoint into finland
              for that matter

              please forgive my skepticism but i simply cant imagine
              the norwegians or anyone else being so humorless &
              idiotic as to actually object to that

              the thought of norwegian guards defending russia is in
              itself hilarious

              wrote:

              > Not brave
              >

              > Standing in non-Russian territory like the rest of
              > us
              >

              > _____

              === message truncated ===

              http://sims.yahoo.com/
            • Jesper Nielsen/Borderbase
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007

                You still have do touch Russian territory to actually do a class A, so if you are just a millimeter away it doesn’t count in your book anyway.

                NO and RU have agreed that they both make sure nobody violated the shared border. RU maintains two border zones of 10 and 25 km from the actual line, and so have little need to actually be on the line, while NO allows traffic right up to the line. By guarding the tripoint and the line, they maintain good neighbourhood with their large eastern friend.

                And the Norwegians do not joke about this. I was told that a tourist walked up to the line and reached her hand into RU to take a close up of a marker. She was fined 5000 NOK.

                http://www.grensekom.no/conduct%20and%20travel%20at%20the%20border.php

                A couple of years ago I tipped the Norwegian off that at BYLTLV a “neutral” platform had been established. The Norwegians requested the Russians if they could do something similar at FINORU, but the Russians declined saying their land is holy.

                Jesper

                wrote:

                > Not brave
                >

                > Standing in non-Russian territory like the rest of
                > us
                >

                > _____
                >
                > Fra: boundarypointpoint@ yahoogroups. com

                === message truncated ===

                http://sims. yahoo.com/

              • aletheia kallos
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 3, 2007
                  thanx
                  all very interesting
                  & please see a few specific comments below

                  Jesper Nielsen/Borderbase <jesper@...> wrote:
                  You still have do touch Russian territory to actually do a class A, so if you are just a millimeter away it doesn’t count in your book anyway
                  .
                  i understand
                  but if you missed the tripoint by a millimeter you would still be on the leading edge of the try as far as we know
                  & so youd be master of the try & of the point until someone did better
                  in fact i have never heard of anyone even touching the finoru pyramid let alone approaching its vertex
                  & all or any of that would count very much in my book

                  but also you dont have to cross the border for an absolute touch class a
                  you just need to touch the border at the tripoint
                  the prohibition is against actually crossing

                  & so how about tipping the guards to take your picture almost touching the tripoint
                  or at least letting them know what you intend to do
                  you wouldnt have to tell them you actually touched the tripoint if your finger happened to slip invisibly in that direction
                  but even if you did stop a millimeter shy of the border as promised because you wanted to keep your word it would still be a maximum try as well as a best known pic

                  & it really is not a matter of my book or your book or anyone elses book
                  a point is a point is a point
                  actually trying to actually reach the actual tripoint & thus actually being in 3 places at once is not a commonplace nor an imaginary thing
                  these are all actual & very special facts
                  or they arent
                  it isnt just my game or my rules
                  trypointing is an entirely cosmic & objectively dictated sport
                  & the fact that many tripoints involve very special challenges is not meaningless or pointless but is at the very heart of the challenge & the fun

                  end inserts
                  but more to come as soon as i can take another vacation from my nontrypointing vacation

                  wrote:

                  > Not brave
                  >

                  > Standing in non-Russian territory like the rest of
                  > us
                  >

                  > _____

                  === message truncated ===
                  .

                • Jesper Nielsen/Borderbase
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 25, 2007

                    The LTRU vista is off the boundary, but I may not go as far east

                    http://geosite.jankrogh.com/borders/ltplru/ltplru.htm

                    but since i was expecting 3 convergent clearcuts
                    my attached tripoint stretching diagram try simply
                    endeavors to locate & center upon all 3 of their
                    apparent traces in the satpic
                    for whatever thats worth

                    jesper are you still there

                    what do you think of this

                    http://new.toolbar. yahoo.com/ toolbar/features /mail/index. php

                  • aletheia kallos
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 26, 2007
                      ok thanx
                      good point

                      since this clearcut appears to be entirely within
                      russia but not at all far from lithuania
                      we may need to roughly split the difference between
                      our 2 guesses shown here
                      http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.culture.discuss.boundary-point-point/280

                      wrote:

                      > The LTRU vista is off the boundary, but I may not go
                      > as far east

                      http://geosite.jankrogh.com/borders/ltplru/ltplru.htm

                      > _____

                      http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
                    • Jesper Nielsen
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 13, 2009

                        http://www.baltictimes.com/news/articles/20337/

                      • aletheia kallos
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 13, 2009
                          looks like lithuania just wants a tripartite replacement marker for the existing plsu marker
                          which became plru all right
                          from the looks of the accompanying flagposts
                          yet somehow is not yet a sufficiently lithuanian ltplru

                          the tripoint position doesnt appear to be at issue