Potter County PA Triple Divide Point

  • spookymike@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2010
      One of mother nature's finest multipoints in North America is located on an obscure hill in Potter County, Pennsylvania.

      Quoting from Peakbagger.com:  (URL=http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=7207)

      "This obscure point in rural north-central Pennsylvania is one of the major hydrographic triple divide points of the North American continent.
      In a simple schematic, the main divides of the United States form a letter "H"--to the left/west of the "H", water flows to the Pacific; to the right/east, the Atlantic. The upper/north area of the "H" flows to the St. Lawrence or Hudson Bay, while the lower/south zone goes to the Gulf of Mexico. The continental divide in the Rockies forms the left-hand side of the "H", while the Appalachian crest running from eastern Canada south to Florida from the right hand side.
      If you follow that, the Potter County Triple Divide is where the cross-bar of the "H" joins the right hand side. From here, water here flows north to the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence, south to the Ohio and Mississippi, and east to the Altantic, coincidentally in the largest basin and the longest river on the eastern US seaboard, the Susquehanna."

      I bring this up because I visited the hill on 15 May.  The actual triple divide hill is unmarked, but the significance of it is noted on a commemorative sign about a mile away posted by the County Visitors Association.

      Mike Schwartz

      =
    • dfp18@columbia.edu
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2010
        Fascinating! Thanks for sending. Where is the western tripoint?

        David Phillips
        San Francisco

[...]

        This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
        all copies of the original message. Thank you. Farella Braun + Martel LLP
      • dfp18@columbia.edu
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2010

          Fellow List-members:

          My copy of this not very important message seemed to be cut off, leaving only my name visible.  Here's the message.  DFP

[...]

          This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.

          Farella Braun + Martel LLP

        • spookymike@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2010
            The western tripoint is the much better known and aptly named Triple Divide Peak in Glacier National Park.  I've seen it from a distance, but it's a bit much for my climbing abilities.  Plus I have this thing about grizzly bears.......

            See:  http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=4815

            Mike Schwartz

[...]

            <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional