Anyone Digging?

  • Pamela (Bottlecindy)
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 5, 2012
      Hello, Group:

      Boy, has it be quiet lately. With summer nearly here, has anyone been digging, or out to flea markets or yard sales? Any good finds? I recently tore a hamstring, so digging is out for a little bit (not long, as I will get out no matter what) I have gone to some yard sales and the flea markets, but nothing super to report. I have found a few commons for resale, but that's about it.

      Hope to hear from others here on their finds.

      A hearty welcome to all new members.

      Pam (Bottlecindy) Moderator
    • diggerlarry62463
      Message 2 of 13 , May 31, 2013
        --- In bottlecollectors@yahoogroups.com, "Pamela (Bottlecindy)" wrote:

        > Hello, Group:
        >
        > Boy, has it be quiet lately. With summer nearly here, has anyone been
        digging, or out to flea markets or yard sales? Any good finds? I
        recently tore a hamstring, so digging is out for a little bit (not long,
        as I will get out no matter what) I have gone to some yard sales and
        the flea markets, but nothing super to report. I have found a few
        commons for resale, but that's about it.

        > Hope to hear from others here on their finds.
        >
        > A hearty welcome to all new members.
        >
        > Pam (Bottlecindy) Moderator
        >Hi Pam I am a digging nut and have been out almost every day because i
        am in a great dig site .all the bottles are around 1890's at my dig site
        in Holyoke Mass and I just found another site from the 50"s so I'm real
        excited about that spot I love the old soda bottles and milks .I think
        you know who i am I buy from you at eBay you are the best bottle packer
        I have ever seen .
      • Pamela Hegedus
        Message 3 of 13 , May 31, 2013
          Hello, Larry and folks:

          I am out each week so far digging. Not a lot of super finds, but I have having fun and enjoying finding whatever I do.  Lately, my one digging friend who goes with me each week, had led us to dumps where there seems to be little. There is a newer 1920-40's dump which is decent with some older stuff mixed in as well as good local milks and some interesting canning/fruit jars and some figurines and marbles.

          This week we had rain and now a hot spell. My next digging date is next Tuesday and the weather sounds super.

          Pam (Bottlecindy)  (here in northeastern Pa)
        • Pamela Hegedus
          Message 4 of 13 , May 31, 2013
            Funny. but no in a humorous way, I tore my right hamstring last year at this time.  I still dug, but carefully and was in agony for some time.   I am actually out digging more this year thus far.  I have gone to a lot of flea markets (one each Sunday) and some yard sales and some thrift shops. I got a lovely citron blob beer-no embossing other than a slugplate and "This Bottle Not to Be Sold", some super fruit-canning jars and a local soda or two.

            Anyone else digging or finding elsewhere?

            Pam  (Bottlecindy)

            Oh, and welcome all newbies here, whether you are an seasoned digger or new at the hobby.
          • art
            Message 5 of 13 , May 31, 2013
              Hi Pam,  I'm hoping to get in some digging this year.  Someone told me about an old mill site and that there was the town dump next to it somewhere, I went out to take a look last month but wasn't able to find the dump.  I did find the mill ruins.  I'm going to ask the guy who told me for better markings.  It could be really nice because the town goes back to the 1700's. The mill was built around 1860.  It could turn out to be a nice spot.
              Art

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 2, 2013

                Finding a dump site is fustrating as all hell sometimes. My Mom and Dad were diggers, since before I was born. When I was a little kid, we lived in Mass but had a cottage on a lake in Maine. Saturdays they went digging. I was as bored as a kid, this was not "fun" to me... NOW though... I want to go back to those sites and take the bottles they thought were not good enough to take home!!! If it did not have an open pontil, they chucked it. Canning jars???, they only kept the cobalt blue ones, sometimes an amber one... milk bottles??? NEVER. If it was not perfect?? a chip, crack, or sick??... nope. aaakkkk. Want to go back and find them!!! AND dig a little deeper!!!!
                Cathy in NH

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 19, 2013
                  yes digging is going on though most people that are digging are in there late 40's and older , i dig a lot every weekend if i can sometimes during the week as well in mn wi area 1880's is just wonderful , however we also dig the 1910's pits we find as well . stenciled jugs come out of these plus late throws happen as well

                  --- In bottlecollectors@yahoogroups.com, "cathy mccarthy" <bbhorsetack@...> wrote:

                  > Finding a dump site is fustrating as all hell sometimes. My Mom and Dad were diggers, since before I was born. When I was a little kid, we lived in Mass but had a cottage on a lake in Maine. Saturdays they went digging. I was as bored as a kid, this was not "fun" to me... NOW though... I want to go back to those sites and take the bottles they thought were not good enough to take home!!! If it did not have an open pontil, they chucked it. Canning jars???, they only kept the cobalt blue ones, sometimes an amber one... milk bottles??? NEVER. If it was not perfect?? a chip, crack, or sick??... nope. aaakkkk. Want to go back and find them!!! AND dig a little deeper!!!!
                  > Cathy in NH

                • vinturo55
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 19, 2013
                    Hi all. A friend and I went back to the mill ruins, he brought a couple of metal detectors. The only thing we found with those were old tin cans, old pipes from the mill and metal barrels. The place where the guy told me look for the dump turned into thick woods. We took a look around the ruins of an old house that was part of the mill and right out on the surface was a few early 1900's bottles. One is an old embossed Frenches mustard jar with only the word Frenches on it. The other is a condiment jar that is embossed to look like a wooden beer keg. Anyone know what would have been in it?
                    I didn't do any digging because both of us had forgot to bring bug spray and we were getting eaten alive by the mosquitoes. It looks like if I do dig the area all I'll find is more of the newer stuff. Does anyone have any idea where I might try to look near the mill for the privy? Oh, and we also found a stone well.

                    --- In bottlecollectors@yahoogroups.com, "myoung6766" <myoung6766@...> wrote:

                    > yes digging is going on though most people that are digging are in there late 40's and older , i dig a lot every weekend if i can sometimes during the week as well in mn wi area 1880's is just wonderful , however we also dig the 1910's pits we find as well . stenciled jugs come out of these plus late throws happen as well
                    >
                    > --- In bottlecollectors@yahoogroups.com, "cathy mccarthy" <bbhorsetack@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Finding a dump site is fustrating as all hell sometimes. My Mom and Dad were diggers, since before I was born. When I was a little kid, we lived in Mass but had a cottage on a lake in Maine. Saturdays they went digging. I was as bored as a kid, this was not "fun" to me... NOW though... I want to go back to those sites and take the bottles they thought were not good enough to take home!!! If it did not have an open pontil, they chucked it. Canning jars???, they only kept the cobalt blue ones, sometimes an amber one... milk bottles??? NEVER. If it was not perfect?? a chip, crack, or sick??... nope. aaakkkk. Want to go back and find them!!! AND dig a little deeper!!!!
                    > > Cathy in NH

                  • Larry Swart
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
                      That would be an old Peal's Beer Barrow
                                                                    DiggerLarry

                      On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 12:56 AM, vinturo55 <as2200wsrw@...> wrote:

                      Hi all. A friend and I went back to the mill ruins, he brought a couple of metal detectors. The only thing we found with those were old tin cans, old pipes from the mill and metal barrels. The place where the guy told me look for the dump turned into thick woods. We took a look around the ruins of an old house that was part of the mill and right out on the surface was a few early 1900's bottles. One is an old embossed Frenches mustard jar with only the word Frenches on it. The other is a condiment jar that is embossed to look like a wooden beer keg. Anyone know what would have been in it?
                      I didn't do any digging because both of us had forgot to bring bug spray and we were getting eaten alive by the mosquitoes. It looks like if I do dig the area all I'll find is more of the newer stuff. Does anyone have any idea where I might try to look near the mill for the privy? Oh, and we also found a stone well.

                      --- In bottlecollectors@yahoogroups.com, "myoung6766" <myoung6766@...> wrote:

                      > yes digging is going on though most people that are digging are in there late 40's and older , i dig a lot every weekend if i can sometimes during the week as well in mn wi area 1880's is just wonderful , however we also dig the 1910's pits we find as well . stenciled jugs come out of these plus late throws happen as well
                      >
                      > --- In bottlecollectors@yahoogroups.com, "cathy mccarthy" <bbhorsetack@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Finding a dump site is fustrating as all hell sometimes. My Mom and Dad were diggers, since before I was born. When I was a little kid, we lived in Mass but had a cottage on a lake in Maine. Saturdays they went digging. I was as bored as a kid, this was not "fun" to me... NOW though... I want to go back to those sites and take the bottles they thought were not good enough to take home!!! If it did not have an open pontil, they chucked it. Canning jars???, they only kept the cobalt blue ones, sometimes an amber one... milk bottles??? NEVER. If it was not perfect?? a chip, crack, or sick??... nope. aaakkkk. Want to go back and find them!!! AND dig a little deeper!!!!
                      > > Cathy in NH

                    • Su Doherty
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
                        Hi  a lot of digging going on,  would this be in the UK?

                        Su

                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
                          I have a newer dump that we sometimes dig, and love finding things like milk bottles, older canning jars, crockery, plates, depression glass and sometime even neat figurines. People did toss older stuff sometimes as well, so keep digging there, bring the bug spray, and try getting down as far as you can and the older bottles, etc., may be mixed in.

                          Pam (Bottlecindy)

                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
                            I am in the USA--Pa. in fact. I believe we have some UK members.

                            The barrel like bottle-jar was likely for mustard. They come up a lot in the depression era dumps. I have found them with partial labels.

                            Pam (Bottlecindy)

                            --- In bottlecollectors@yahoogroups.com, Su Doherty <su.doherty@...> wrote:

                            > Hi  a lot of digging going on,  would this be in the UK?
                            >
                            > Su
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • M Brunswick
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 21, 2013
                              Hello, A newbie, somewhat.
                              Probably only a year in Baltimore Antique Bottle Club, also on YouTube.com.
                              The meetings are not dull, in March hold an annual bottle show,
                              billed as World's Largest One Day Bottle Show, at Essex Comm College,
                              Eastern Baltimore County. The members collect a wide range.

                              3 hour meeting, 1st hour many bring in boxes of bottles, etc.
                              Buy, sell, trade (?). Raffles, drawings (I won 3 times), a presentation
                              by member on their specialty, etc. Snacks.
                              Once had the star of American Digger Show speak, it is on Youtube.

                              So far was into old wine bottles, now some beer and spirits, mainly Baltimore, MD
                              as I was born there and lived in surrounding counties. I hit Antique Malls, stores,
                              Flea markets, etc not as much as past, am now a senior. Been on Ebay 10+ yrs.
                              In my many trips, MD and raided Southern PA, usually came back with a bottle.
                              I collect other stuff, too.

                              Not a digger, except on my acre and 2/3s, rural, garden, fruit trees, etc.
                              I guess around 90 holes over the yrs. Blue-gray shale. Top of MD,
                              at MD/PA Line in Carroll County, 1/2 hr from Gettysburg Battlefield.
                              The farmer who owned my property
                              used an area as their dump, abit of broken glass back there in the woods.

                              Back to the subject: One knowledgeable member is a real digger, named Chris.
                              Told me he's dug from VA to NYC, over 1500 privies! He hits one or two every week.
                              Asked his deepest one, he said 38 feet?
                              His website is: BaltimoreBottles.com

                              Anyway, passing by and saying: Hi. Take care. mb