digging in wisconsin arena

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 28, 2009
      I recently ran into some people who were digging in Wisconsin MY STATE and were digging in a secret dump that i and friends have dug in and really screwed it up. That is not okay! When I asked them how they heard about it the fellows said that they met on a yahoo bottle collectors group from out eastwards and after research, I have found that it was THIS group. WHAT THE HELL? People need to stay out of digging in MY state and my area all together. The dump I mentioned before was our secret dump that had been dug for over 10 years and we had great finds yes, and we had a arrangement with the owners of lands as well. Now they tor up the dump and made a mess as well as the owners mad and we can no longer dig here. This has happened over the years in Wisconsin, and when this happened this summer i was really upset. You diggers sometimes have NO reason whatsoever and come and destroy everything in your path to find a bottle. i have seen it before, with the idiots from south of me in Illinois. they take take take without giving back to the hobby and it need to stop. diggers need to stay out of my state and my town, the Milwaukee area, and stay in Illinois, Indiana and Ohio or whatever state they are in. this is not funny, Wisconsin is off-limits to idiot diggers like the such in this obviously moronic group. yahoo groups breed the worst people and this is also one of them. If I had gotten the peoples names that did this then I would post them so you could all see that they are here and that they are probably planing there next attack. I will probably post this again on my webpage, mr.bottles, because people need to just stay away from digging the Milwaukee Wisconsin area unless you are a local and trustworthy person, otherwise STAY away from the whole arena of digging, because you are messing it up for everyone. And that is no fun at all for us serious collectors, by which Wisconsin has some of the most serious collectors in the Midwest and we are will to do what it takes to find a good dump and keep it secret so we dont get those out of town back stabbers to screw us over. Wisconsin has some great old bottles to get as well, and i hope none of you get them because only real collectors and serious collectors need the good finds not the back stabbing idiots that screw up our local dumps and screw up the hobby. go away and do not come back from the hobby of bottle digging and collecting. we are now watching the dig sites for out of town plates. please be on the look out, as i said we are very serious collectors as you can see about my site mr.bottles which is the best bottle site out there and it encourages the serious collectors in our state and will not recognize other states as they cant pay or follow the hobby as close as we have because its just that serious. thanks you all for nothing. pooo!

      Steve Liby, Mr.bottles.com
    • cathy mccarthy
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 28, 2009
        What kind of "crap" was this guy smoking or drinking tonite???? What a long tirade??? Sheeshhh. I did knot know somebody owned a state? Did you? JMO.

        Cathy in NH

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 28, 2009
          hello this is the kind of idiots I am talking about, hello yes you. you are an idiot, yes that is right. i could say more but what is the point?? just stay away form Milwaukee!! whew!

          --- In bottlecollectors@yahoogroups.com, "cathy mccarthy" <bbhorsetack@...> wrote:

          > What kind of "crap" was this guy smoking or drinking tonite???? What a long tirade??? Sheeshhh. I did knot know somebody owned a state? Did you? JMO.
          >
          > Cathy in NH

        • cathy mccarthy
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 28, 2009
            Well they sure as hell didn't here it from me since I have never been to Milwaulkee and have no desire to do so. If it was such a "secret site", you had to tell somebody about it to "let the secret out"... ya think??? Stay away from NH too!!!!! (gosh, I feel silly saying that...) Actually, if you do not mind digging through some pretty tough dirt, I have some sites that could be dug. I am not saying that to be sarcastic. I think digging is fun, and if somebody finds it too, unless it is on my own land, then...oh well... Again... JMO.

            Cathy in NH

            hello this is the kind of idiots I am talking about, hello yes you. you are an idiot, yes that is right. i could say more but what is the point?? just stay away form Milwaukee!! whew!

            --- In bottlecollectors@ yahoogroups. com, "cathy mccarthy" <bbhorsetack@ ...> wrote:

            > What kind of "crap" was this guy smoking or drinking tonite???? What a long tirade??? Sheeshhh. I did knot know somebody owned a state? Did you? JMO.
            >
            > Cathy in NH

          • Pamela Hegedus
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 28, 2009

              Hello, Steve:

              I am not aware of anyone here who did this, and have not heard anything about anyone digging and finding anything in your state or area. There are a few bottle groups on yahoo which promote digging and collecting, not just this one.  I am in Pa. and have been an avid digger for over 40 years.  I know we often find dumps in this area where others have dug, and we have also had diggers dig our "spots" as well.  Unless you own the land, it is basically alright to dig a dumpsite even if others have dug it before.  If the land is posted, then we always try and find the landowners and get permission.  Where I am in Pa., it is still quite rural and most people do not mind you digging on their land.  I was digging in a woods in town on the 4th of July and the town policeman came by and asked what we were doing.  I told him "digging", and he said to have a good time.  No one has the exclusive digging rights unless it is their land.   To tell someone not to dig in a certain state is absolutely absurd.  Digging is a hobby many enjoy.

              About two years ago, I had a problem with a fellow digger who had moved away and was not planning on coming back to Pa. He and I had dug this dumpsite I had been taken to a few years before by a since retired digger.  We did some good digging, found some bottles, etc. and this digger somehow thought I had the exclusive rights to this spot. I did not. I just dug there like maybe a dozen before me.   The town owned the land.  When he moved away, I took some other diggers friends to dig with me. Hey, it's not fun digging alone and he had moved out of the state, planning to marry and relocate there.   To make a long story short, a year later he decided to move back.  He wanted to dig, and so I met him at this dump.  He was furious that I had taken anyone else to dig there.   He took his toys and went home mad, so to speak.  It was not my dump.  No dump is exclusively mine--that is, unless on my property.  Even then, I would enjoy some diggers joining me.  In fact, I have always shared my spots with fellow diggers, and have invited people to come and dig with me here in Pa.  The fun of digging with other hobbists and also sharing finds, is what bottle digging is all about.

              I do not know all the circumstances about others digging where you dug, Steve, and it sounds as if they made a mess and didn't even ask to dig there.  If that is so, then it is poor digging manners, and quite rude. However, to tell anyone not to dig in your state is a bit far-fetched.  As I said, digging is a hobby of many, young and old, man and woman, so you cannot not expect people who live in or visit a state not to dig.

              I'd love to do some digging out of state, but doubt I ever will due to lack of money and time.  I have good digging buddies in a good many states and anxiously await their digging stories and postings of their finds.

              I do think you have a right to share your frustration at this rudeness, but maybe it could have been said with a bit more thought, rather than getting so riled up and telling everyone to not dig in your state as well as some others.   When we are fired up, sometimes it is best to give it a day or two, think things out, and then write with a clear mind.  The content usually comes out better and sounds more clear-headed.

              Pam (Bottlecindy) Moderator

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 28, 2009
                See what I mean?  Name-calling is not too mature, and we are here to enjoy and share the bottle digging and collecting hobby, not to bash one another like some teenagers!  It might be a good idea to think before firing off and think before responding to these type of e-mails where someone is all hot-headed at the moment.

                Pam (Bottlecindy)

                hello this is the kind of idiots I am talking about, hello yes you. you are an idiot, yes that is right. i could say more but what is the point?? just stay away form Milwaukee!! whew!

                --- In bottlecollectors@ yahoogroups. com, "cathy mccarthy" <bbhorsetack@ ...> wrote:

                > What kind of "crap" was this guy smoking or drinking tonite???? What a long tirade??? Sheeshhh. I did knot know somebody owned a state? Did you? JMO.
                >
                > Cathy in NH

              • Austin
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
                  Pam and group,

                  I agree, we all need to think before we act and respect other people. As for this man (Steve) being upset over digging areas, yes I think that I can agree that there are some ethics involved with ANY digging. Just recently I was mad at some diggers in Red Wing, but we worked it out and are still working over "rules for digging the stoneware dump" and I know that because the city owns much of the land, telling someone they cant dig or whatever may be beyond our control. Coming up with rules and guides for fellow diggers in dumps are a must to prevent others from getting upset. Respecting where someone is digging in a dump, especially if they are finding good stuff and want to come back to the spot is a place to start. If your finding a good piece and want to find the rest of it and then someone else goes in your hole and digs it out and finds the rest of what your looking for, then well we have a problem. Setting up guides and rules that everyone can agree on will benefit all diggers.
                  On the other side this Steve sounds a little irate. No one owns a state, or owns a dump (unless it is their land of course) and telling someone they cant dig in a town or area is absolutely uncalled for. Like I said before, respecting a hole or area someone is digging is one thing but a whole dump? I think not. I would love to have some feedback on this as well from all you folks.
                  On the other side of things, I don't think this Steve fellow is part of Mr Bottles site, which does exist. In fact it is one of the better bottle sites out there. From what I know the owner of the site is Peter not Steve. Of course these fellows are hard to get a hold of and they don't always get back to you in a speedy manor either. I am not a big fan of the Mr Bottles but none the less, it is a superb site....maybe I am ratting on now, so I will stop with that.

                  Austin

                  Austin Fjerestad and the
                  Minnesota Bottle Diggers.
                  Austins Awesome Graphics, LTD
                  Minneapolis, Minn.

                  See what I mean?  Name-calling is not too mature, and we are here to enjoy and share the bottle digging and collecting hobby, not to bash one another like some teenagers!  It might be a good idea to think before firing off and think before responding to these type of e-mails where someone is all hot-headed at the moment.

                  Pam (Bottlecindy)

                  hello this is the kind of idiots I am talking about, hello yes you. you are an idiot, yes that is right. i could say more but what is the point?? just stay away form Milwaukee!! whew!

                  --- In bottlecollectors@ yahoogroups. com, "cathy mccarthy" <bbhorsetack@ ...> wrote:

                  > What kind of "crap" was this guy smoking or drinking tonite???? What a long tirade??? Sheeshhh. I did knot know somebody owned a state? Did you? JMO.
                  >
                  > Cathy in NH

                • cathy mccarthy
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
                    Sorry, the Milwaukee guy was too much over the "edge" for me. I did not feel like I was joining in the "name calling", nor "bashing" anyone. It was not his land or his "state". If somebody diggs on MY land without permission, yes, I would have a problem with that.

                    But some of the old foundations around here???? Yes others have poked around them. None of them have ever left holes in the ground, and all have left "shards" on a wall by a stone wall or a tree, so that the deer could not hurt themselves on. Kinda like a "sign"... I found this!!! But not always the real treasure. There is an old inn up behind my house about a mile away. It is on an old road that no longer exists, was one of the first "inns" in Wakefield, NH, town founded in 1776. There supposedly was an indian village there too. There is a tree in the old foudation that has to be at least 200 years This was before that. Old. NOPE. Nobody has yet to find "the dump". I keep looking though....Kinda spooky around there too. And I know the owner of the property. He lives in France.

                    Cathy in NH
                  • Pamela Hegedus
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 5, 2009
                      I tend to agree that his way of handling his upset was out of line.  I still say that if it is not your land, then you really do not have a lot of say.  Like you, we often find places semi-dug and bottles and debris off to the side, as if they are saying, "we did find stuff here".  I know we do the same, and put bottles we ourselves do not want, off to the side for what I call, "the future new bottle diggers".   Many dumps have been partially dug, but a rule of thumb I go by is that no dump is thoroughly dug to the bottom in all sections.

                      In fact, we returned to what we consider a somewhat newer dump in the woods, about ten miles from my home.  We have dug there on and off for years and others have as well, getting disgusted.  The dump is a combination of newer tin and metal items, glassware like those hateful ketchups and just plain jars.   However, you can dig down only maybe a foot or two, hit some burnt ash, then clean ash, and bimal bottles!  It makes no sense, but this is how it goes there.   We had maybe 2 1/2 hours to dig on Sunday afternoon, before the sun began to go down, and all three of us dug within an area of maybe ten feet, and once we got down about two feet, we hit older bottles.   We came home with sodas bottles, nice local milks (my favorites, being a milk bottle collector) as well as some fruit jars and medicines.    I hope and plan to get back there as soon as I can and the weather permits.    This season has not been a super one for me to digging, but this rather turned things around a bit.

                      Cathy and Austin, as far as those who unreasonably complain, I prefer to let them state their case, then move back on to the topic of digging and sharing who has found what, rather than raving on and on about who should dig where, etc.  Digging respect is a good thing, but we cannot always control what others do.

                      Pam (Bottlecindy) Susquehanna, Pa.