Re: [Bottle Collectors] story behind a simple sause bottle

  • Austin
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2009
      Interesting....do you have a McConnons Cough Cure bottle yet?? My friend picked one up recently and Mcconnons is from Winona. I had not seen one before.

      Austin.

      Austin Fjerestad and the
      Minnesota Bottle Diggers.
      Austins Awesome Graphics, LTD
      Minneapolis, Minn.

      From: cathy mccarthy <bbhorsetack@ roadrunner. com>
      To: bottlecollectors@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, August 10, 2009, 5:58 PM

      I like the stuff today, and I like the "story" behnd it. Yes they might not be worth a quarter, but who cares?

      "The Beginnings
      The story of Lea & Perrins® famous Worcestershire Sauce begins in the early 1800s, in the county of Worcester. Returning home from his travels in Bengal, Lord Sandys, a nobleman of the area, was eager to duplicate a recipe he'd acquired. On Lord Sandys's request, two chemists—John Lea and William Perrins made up the first batch of the sauce.
      Lea and Perrins were not impressed with their initial results. The pair found the taste unpalatable, and simply left the jars in their cellar to gather dust. A few years later, they stumbled across them and decided to taste the contents again. To their delight, the aging process had turned it into a delicious, savory sauce.
      Soon Mr. Lea and Mr. Perrins began bottling their special blend of vinegars and seasonings. Without any kind of advertising, in just a few short years, it was known and coveted in kitchens throughout Europe.
      In 1839, John Duncan, a New York entrepreneur, ordered a small quantity of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce. In the space of a few short years Duncan was importing large shipments to keep up with demand. Lea & Perrins was the only commercially- bottled condiment in U.S., and Americans loved it rightaway. Almost 170 years later, Lea & Perrins sauce remains a favorite in households across the U.S."
      So I will save them when I find them. Just window bottles.
      Cathy in NH

    • Pamela Hegedus
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 2009
        Austin,
        I don't believe I do. I don't have many of them, but right now have perhaps 100, and whenever I see a good deal or get a bottle that has 'cold" or "cough" on it in a lot I buy, I keep it and add it to the collection.

        Pam (Bottlecindy)