Re: [Bottle Collectors] Bottle Findsssssss MN

  • Austin
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 3, 2009
      Had a great day digging two days in a row. Went to Red Wing with little luck on Friday, but more on that later.
      On saturday I took the long hall to the River ey Dump to dig there. I found a ABM from Fairfax, cracked and under this at the bottom of the dump I found a large quart green bottle: a Drewery & Sons (St Paul Minn) in near perfect shape! I was really happy with this one...but what was it doing a hundred plus miles from home? We have found a lot of these green Drewery bottles in this dump. Must have exported their bottles out this way. I found next a strange english bottle: it is marked Dr J Siegert and Hijos on the shoulder and base. Very crude bottle and very clean as well. (anyone know what this was and is worth??) I found a few other plainers and one more quart whiskey with no marks. Later at a different whole I found a chipped Two Way Transition insolator, a rare treat. I dug for many hours after this with little more, but it was a fun trip. No whole hutches but the Green Drewerys and other finds makes up for it this time.

      Austin

      Austin Fjerestad and the
      Minnesota Bottle Diggers.
      Austins Awesome Graphics, LTD
      Minneapolis, Minn.

      From: Austin <hutchlord@yahoo. com>
      To: bottlecollectors@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Saturday, July 18, 2009, 12:21 PM

      I plan to dig tomorrow, back to the stoneware dump again. Today i got a super find at a garage sale. $10.00 bought me a old toy cap gun (automatic pistol type) from Ha Lancaster PA with Dick on it and eagles. It's in super shape. What was the real eye catcher was that it came with nine boxes of orginal caps from Arrowhead Fireworks Co....right here in Minneapolis and Duluth Minn. I know this is off subject, but anyone have any idea what the toy gun is worth???
      There was a few milks here but they were pricey and damaged. One was from South Bend Wis. I would have bought but a large chip detured me!!

      From: hutchlord@yahoo. com <hutchlord@yahoo. com>
      To: bottlecollectors@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 4:40 PM

      Wow fun to hear, I went digging stonware the other day and we were finding 2 gallon Petty Tonic Jugs from Correctionville Iowa, a fun jug.
      Reading threw this made me think of my friend and the dump below the falls. Back in the 1860's 1870's they threw trash over a 30 foot drop onto the rocks below. It is amazing what survived. One guy dug a quart sized Roback Bitters and my friend dug a intact local soda (Gravitator stopper) as well. Yes it is amazing what survives the drops and dumps....

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 3, 2009
        Dr. J. G. B. Siegert & Hijos (Sons) was for Angostura Bitters. It is still made today. See:

        Bob Stahr
        Hemingray Collector/Historian
        bob@...
        www.hemingray.com

[...]

      • Pamela Hegedus
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 11 3:39 PM
          Hello, Group:

          I found this bottle, and so far no one has been able to give me any information on it. Any ideas?  Any one find this one or hear of it?

          The bottle is amber glass, tooled lip, base indented-snap case mold, and is about 9 inches tall.  Embossed: HONDURA'S TONIC W.E.TWISS & CO. MFG.

          Photo is posted in my photos.

          Pam (Bottlecindy)

        • steve harris
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 11 5:42 PM
            dug thousands of bottles, can't recall that one

          • mowrider
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 11 7:42 PM
              --- In bottlecollectors@yahoogroups.com, Pamela Hegedus <horsesruscindy@...> wrote:

              > Hello, Group:
              >
              > I found this bottle, and so far no one has been able to give me any information on it. Any ideas?  Any one find this one or hear of it?
              >
              > The bottle is amber glass, tooled lip, base indented-snap case mold, and is about 9 inches tall.  Embossed: HONDURA'S TONIC W.E.TWISS & CO. MFG.
              >
              > Photo is posted in my photos.
              >
              > Pam (Bottlecindy)

              Isn't it nice to have a "one of a kind" or a very rare bottle! I think I have a few. Congrats to you !
            • Austin
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 15 10:45 AM
                My friend and I went digging down a little south of me for a few hours behind a defuct bottling works. The dump was and is shallow and most of the stuff broken but fun to dig. My friend found a shard to a amber Milwaukee "Excract bottlers" bottle. (I have dug this before anyone have a intact one) and soon found a shard to a local hutch. I returned to join him there and found parts to another hutch and more of his slugplate. We will go back, despite the few finds, to see if we can find more of the local sodas..maybe intact!!
                We plan on digging this weekend as well.

                My best find so far this year was a few weeks ago out west of me a ways. Walked into a shop and fuond a great buy: a etched beer glass from the little town of Jordan Minn. It was perfect, a little worn and haze but no chips ect. WOW and the price? CHEEP! Well see how it does. On the Antique side of things there are some GREAT buys out there these days and many dealers are having up to 50 pecent off there booths!! I saw one person who had 75 Percent off ( I bought a glass decantur for .50 cents!!) Get out and dig and hit the shops,,,more good finds are waiting for us all!!

                Austin

                Austin Fjerestad and the
                Minnesota Bottle Diggers.
                Austins Awesome Graphics, LTD
                Minneapolis, Minn.

              • cathy mccarthy
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 15 4:01 PM
                  Yes you can find great deals. I have "sharp eyes" and sometime dealers, in those "group shops" will put their 'good stuff' way in the back where it can't be chipped or broken... well after it being there for a couple months... they mark it down...

                  One time I found I very unique piece, hidden way in the back. It was Sanwhich glass. I asked to have the case opened, said I would buy the peice.... when I went to check out. There were 2 other people waiting (dealers) to see if I showed up to pay for it... which of course I did. They both asked "we looked... where did you find THAT???"

                  Snooze you loose, what can I say... hehehe. That was more fun than finding the thing.

                  Just be careful. Old glass seems to "talk" to you. There are so many repro's out there. Old glass.... well it just says "old" to me. JMO.

                  Cathy in NH

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 16 1:35 PM
                    I agree, it says "Old" and after 20 years of collecting I am still young but I know the feel of old glass and the look. Thanks for your story, I liked it!!