Re: [Bottle Collectors] buyer beware

  • Minnesota Bottle Diggers
    Message 1 of 17 , May 1, 2009
      An interesting debate. I should bring this up: has anyone seen a fake photo of a bottle listed on ebay? One came up last month and we still do not know if it was real or not. I don't know where to stand on this one. Has anyone else seen this kind of thing before?? Here is the link:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110377025927

      Let me know.

      Austin Fjerestad and the
      Minnesota Bottle Diggers.
      Austins Awesome Graphics, LTD
      Minneapolis, Minn.

      From: scott <criticalcare61@ yahoo.com>
      To: bottlecollectors@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Wednesday, April 29, 2009, 10:55 PM

      actually, let me add to this to show what happens:

      this link is a true old label obviously. This is the usual shape you find them in:

      http://cgi.ebay. com/ws/eBayISAPI .dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK: MEWAX:IT&item=140317104908

      these two are suspect to me...perfect corners, nothing old about them:

      http://cgi.ebay. com/ws/eBayISAPI .dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK: MEWAX:IT&item=140317106190

      http://cgi.ebay. com/ws/eBayISAPI .dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK: MEWAX:IT&item=140317106190

      this last one you can see through the back of the bottle to the back of the label, and there is no foxing, old glue, peeling, or discoloration. ...very suspect.

      the best clue of all? This has been on line for 3 days and there are NO bids.....always go with the masses, many people out there knows it isn't a true label.

      From: as2200wsrw <as2200wsrw@yahoo. com>
      Subject: [Bottle Collectors] buyer beware
      To: bottlecollectors@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Wednesday, April 29, 2009, 5:36 PM

      Hi Pam and Group, I wanted to know if any other group members buy bottles on ebay. Unlike some of you folks that get to go out and dig in the nice weather, that is when my work takes off and I never seem to have the time. So I've been collecting some nice bottles from ebay instead. Recently and a few other times in the past I've seen sellers on ebay running scams with the bottles. There seems to be countless bottles of everything and from every state so I've only been collecting medicine and cures from my home state. There is a state bottle club with a wealth of information about the bottles and I've been getting pretty good at recognizing them. Last week and the other times I saw up for auction antique 1800's plain unembossed medicine bottles with a label from my state. When I researched the bottle none of it added up, the label belonged on an entirely different bottle (embossed & shape). If the bottle they had up for auction didn't have a label on it it wouldn't have sold for .01 cent., and they were starting the bid at over $9.00. I wrote to the sellers to let them know on the error in the sale but they never wrote back and let the auction go on and the items sold. The most recent one was a dead giveaway, the bottle was foggy and stained and had a new label on it and the seller saying it was found in an attic. The sad part is that there is nothing that I can do about it. The only recourse for reporting it to ebay is if I had bought the bottle. I know it's not alot of money but it's the principal of what they are doing. Just wanted to share this with the group and if your doing business on ebay buyer beware. Thanks for listening, Art

    • scott
      Message 2 of 17 , May 1, 2009
        I don't have a clue what is going on there...but its certainly smells of "stay away" for sure...

        Message 3 of 17 , May 1, 2009

          Yes, we do need to be leary of repro bottles on the market, at sales, yard sales, flea markets and ebay.  It is always good to educate yourself and know what to look for.  Bank tellers are taught to know the "real" thing money-wise, then you can easily spot a fake.

          On a lighter note-- I dug last Sat. and am digging tomorrow. I am going back to the same dump site in town and hope to keep working this on e section along the trees and see what turns up.

          Anyone else get out?

          Pam (Bottlecindy)

[...]

        • Pamela Hegedus
          Message 4 of 17 , May 1, 2009
            No, I have never seen such a thing, but imagine people do list and maybe don't even have the bottle they are listing, then get the money and of course not having the item they get the money and the buyer gets nothing.
            Pam (Bottlecindy)

            Message 5 of 17 , May 1, 2009
              You have to remember, eBay is the biggest "fence" out there on the market.

              Another "heads up", my local postal lady says there are alot of phony money orders out there right now. So be careful.

              Cathy in NH

              Message 6 of 17 , May 1, 2009
                Yes, there are, but most would be for good sums of money not the small ones.  Just use common sense. I have had a few bad checks passed in my eight+ years of selling all the time on ebay and just one that was not made good. I have had mostly good experiences but have had one or two who have tried to get something for nothing claiming they did not get an item and then reversing paypal on me.  I have to say, all in all, bottle dealing-selling there is pretty decent. Just use common sense.  Check a seller's feedback and with new sellers, just use common sense with bidding-buying.
                Pam (Bottlecindy)

[...]

              • art
                Message 7 of 17 , May 1, 2009
                  Hi, I just looked and the auction was pulled and ended, did anyone see that? Friday 11:54 pm

                  Message 8 of 17 , May 1, 2009
                    I think the seller did not list this, but as he said, his son or someone else did and likely he ended the auction early. You can do that.
                    Pam (Bottlecindy)

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 1, 2009
                      Thanks everyone....We did find that there is a similar bottle from CN with similar name and plate type ect. Whether or not this is a fake photo or not may not be known. I hope someone finds a real one so we can verify.
                      Yes as always keep an eye out.