Questions for Pamela

  • woodrow richards
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hello,
      I have a few questions 4 ya, where I am digging I am about 2 feet down then 4 foot, 6 foot and then about 10, I am on the river bank wall, Is there anyway to date the depth that I am digging?
      I'll give u sum ex. at 2 feet I am getting Boyds Mason Jar lids, and old Milk of Mag bottles, at 4-6 feet I am getting old White House vinegar bottles and milk bottles then at 10 feet or so I am getting blob top bottles and cork top bottles. As soon as I get my Cam software to work I will post all that I find.
      Sunday I dug for about an hr, and I found 20 bottles. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!
      Next question, I have 2 bottles that have the corks down in the bottle, how do I get those out?
      Finally, whats the best way to clean the smaller cork top bottles that are so skinny you cant get anything in there to get the mud out? Some of these bottles are 8 inches tall but are 1/2 inch wide, then I have some that the top openings are so small u cant get a baby bottle cleaner thing in there. Is there some kind of solution I can soak them in that will get the white stain and the mud out?
      Any info would help alot!
      Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

      P.S.
      You know anything about Henry K. Wampole & Company?

      Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
    • scott z

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
          Hello,
          From the bottles you mentioned finding, it sounds like a mixed bag age-wise.  The milk bottles, Milk of Magnesias, jar inserts and others are all likely from the 1920-40's.   Then, deeper you are getting the older (late 1800's)  stuff like the blobs and cork top medicines, etc.  It does appear the older bottles are deeper, so do keep going, and my advice is to go in from the bottom and work your way upward. I have recently been digging a dump (same time period as yours) which seemed to be dug years back, but they dug from the top down, and neglected to dig in deep, leaving so much and missing entire sections.  I have seen a lot of dumps dug from the top down, and this seems to be the norm in leaving much of it undug.  That's just my advice. I have to say I sometimes get some enthusiastic to dig that I just get in there and dig, not worrying about a method!

          As for getting the corks out, I have used a small screwdriver to work them loose and usually being they are old, they will break apart.  I find getting them out dry is easier than when the bottle is wet since the cork is dry and usually with the age, brittle and does not expand as it does when it is wet.

          Cleaning is a whole topic of its own and many of us have our varied cleaning methods that we have found over the years works for us.  The white film many not come out, as if the bottle has "haze" from being under the ground and breaking down, nothing short of having the bottle professionally tumbled, works.  This usually runs between $10-$20 a bottle, and unless you have something rare, it's not usually worth doing.  For tiny bottles that you cannot get a bottle brush into, I use copper bbs and put a few of them and some water in, and gently swish them around the bottle, loosening up the dirt on the shoulders and in the hard to reach spots. There are thin brushes which you can sometimes find at a petstore where they sell fish and fish aquarium supplies.  These thin brushes are used to clean the plastic hoses which  pump water and air into the tanks.  They are hard to find in my area, but you might check around and see if any stores in your area carry them.  A friend found me a bag of different sizes at Walmart a few years ago, but when I went and tried to find more, they did not have them. Pipe cleaners are also helpful as they bend and get into the tiny bottles.  For rust, I use The Works toilet bowl cleaner and do read the directions on the bottle, and use gloves and a separate bucket to soak the bottles,  making sure you do this in a well venilated place.  There are other weaker and stronger rust removers, but this seems to do the job on most bottles.

          Anyhow, that's my imput on your questions. I hope I have been of help in my responses.  Best of luck in your diggings, and do keep us posted.  I am heading out to do a few hours of digging myself this morning.  We have a good amount of dirt to move first, but we should hit the layer of bottles in about a hour's time--I hope.

          Pam (Bottlecindy)

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
            Thanks Scott!!
            I found a few bottles With Henry K. Wampole & Compant emboss. on them. 1 has 8 sides, clear and has a cork? top. The other is small clear and has the company emboss. on it, its clear, same type of top and alot of air bubbles in it.
            I went out digging thismorning and found 10 small med bottles, 1 has Watkins emboss. on it, the others have nothing on them, but some have small #s on the bottom and some don't. Is there anyway to idenify the bottles with nothing on them? 1 or 2 have pat. #s, would that help?
            Thanks!

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
              Thanks Pam!
              I went digging this morning and I looked over ina thicket and found 3 crates of blue mason jars, 1 quart, 1 pint, and 2 quarts!!!!!!!! there are prob 50 jars!!!!!!!
              Also I found 10 med bottles, most have nothing on them, a few have some numbers on the bottom and some just have a off shaped circle on the bottoms. They are all clear with a cork? top.
              In this dig I have found over 100 bottles and I am not but 2 feet back into the hillside! If your ever in Ohio let me know and u can check out the site and dig!!!!!!
              Back to the cork being stuck, I have 2 that are this way, 1st is a White House Vinegar bottle, its clear at the bottom and it looks alot bigger than the whole at the top. 2nd is a Med bottle, same thing, stuck in the bottom of the bottle. Should I really work on getting those out in 1 piece or should I just break it up? I do not know, is it better to have the orig. cork?
              Have fun digging!!!!!!!
              Thanks!!!!!!!!

              Pamela Hegedus <horsesruscindy@...> wrote:
              Hello,
              From the bottles you mentioned finding, it sounds like a mixed bag age-wise.  The milk bottles, Milk of Magnesias, jar inserts and others are all likely from the 1920-40's.   Then, deeper you are getting the older (late 1800's)  stuff like the blobs and cork top medicines, etc.  It does appear the older bottles are deeper, so do keep going, and my advice is to go in from the bottom and work your way upward. I have recently been digging a dump (same time period as yours) which seemed to be dug years back, but they dug from the top down, and neglected to dig in deep, leaving so much and missing entire sections.  I have seen a lot of dumps dug from the top down, and this seems to be the norm in leaving much of it undug.  That's just my advice. I have to say I sometimes get some enthusiastic to dig that I just get in there and dig, not worrying about a method!

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
                Hello,
                It sounds as if you are having a grand time digging.  It is a lovely time of the year for it too. I know I was out for a few hours today, and while we didn't come back with a lot (mostly unembossed stuff) it was fantastic autumn weather.

                When the corks are stuck in the bottom, I usually leave them. If I do want them out, I will take a long screwdriver and work to break up the cork, then it comes out in pieces.Be careful, of course, not to scratch the bottle or break it.   Keeping a cork (the original one, that is) does not make it more valuable, as corks (replacements) are so cheap and the old ones break down and fall apart anyhow over time.  You can better clean the bottle with the corks out.

                You may find some older bottles as you go deeper.  It's worth a dig anyhow, and it does sound as if you are enjoying yourself.

                Concerning fruit jars, in time it might be advisable to invest in the Red Book on fruit jars. It's not cheap and runs about $35, but well worth the money.  You can then look up the jars you find and get an idea on their value.  If you already do not subscribe to the Antique Bottle & Glass Collector magazine (it comes out once a month) this is also an excellent publication where you can learn more about bottles, read story posted by collectors, etc.

                Keep digging, and best of luck in your future digs.
                Pam (Bottlecindy)

[...]

                Pamela Hegedus <horsesruscindy@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                Hello,
                From the bottles you mentioned finding, it sounds like a mixed bag age-wise.  The milk bottles, Milk of Magnesias, jar inserts and others are all likely from the 1920-40's.   Then, deeper you are getting the older (late 1800's)  stuff like the blobs and cork top medicines, etc.  It does appear the older bottles are deeper, so do keep going, and my advice is to go in from the bottom and work your way upward. I have recently been digging a dump (same time period as yours) which seemed to be dug years back, but they dug from the top down, and neglected to dig in deep, leaving so much and missing entire sections.  I have seen a lot of dumps dug from the top down, and this seems to be the norm in leaving much of it undug.  That's just my advice. I have to say I sometimes get some enthusiastic to dig that I just get in there and dig, not worrying about a method!

[...]

              • Harry
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
                  To remove an old cork from inside a bottle, I use a stong solution of
                  laundry bleach. The bleach dissolves the cork, and it doesn't hurt
                  the glass.

                  To clean the smallest bottles, I use a 10-inch length of #10 stranded
                  copper wire. I strip about 5/8" of the plastic insulator at each
                  end. I fan the tiny strands of wire on one end for "brushing" and
                  leave the other end unmodified for use as a scraper. The copper is
                  softer than the glass, and shouldn't damage the interior of the
                  bottle.

                  -----Harry Pristis
                  _____________________________________

                  --- In bottlecollectors@yahoogroups.com, Pamela Hegedus
                  <horsesruscindy@...> wrote:

                  > Hello,
                  > It sounds as if you are having a grand time digging. It is a
                  lovely time of the year for it too. I know I was out for a few hours
                  today, and while we didn't come back with a lot (mostly unembossed
                  stuff) it was fantastic autumn weather.

                  > When the corks are stuck in the bottom, I usually leave them. If
                  I do want them out, I will take a long screwdriver and work to break
                  up the cork, then it comes out in pieces.Be careful, of course, not
                  to scratch the bottle or break it. Keeping a cork (the original
                  one, that is) does not make it more valuable, as corks (replacements)
                  are so cheap and the old ones break down and fall apart anyhow over
                  time. You can better clean the bottle with the corks out.

                  > You may find some older bottles as you go deeper. It's worth a
                  dig anyhow, and it does sound as if you are enjoying yourself.

                  > Concerning fruit jars, in time it might be advisable to invest in
                  the Red Book on fruit jars. It's not cheap and runs about $35, but
                  well worth the money. You can then look up the jars you find and get
                  an idea on their value. If you already do not subscribe to the
                  Antique Bottle & Glass Collector magazine (it comes out once a month)
                  this is also an excellent publication where you can learn more about
                  bottles, read story posted by collectors, etc.

                  > Keep digging, and best of luck in your future digs.
                  > Pam (Bottlecindy)
                  >

                  > woodrow richards <woodrow_richards@...> wrote:
                  > Thanks Pam!
                  > I went digging this morning and I looked over ina thicket and
                  found 3 crates of blue mason jars, 1 quart, 1 pint, and 2
                  quarts!!!!!!!! there are prob 50 jars!!!!!!!
                  > Also I found 10 med bottles, most have nothing on them, a few
                  have some numbers on the bottom and some just have a off shaped
                  circle on the bottoms. They are all clear with a cork? top.
                  > In this dig I have found over 100 bottles and I am not but 2 feet
                  back into the hillside! If your ever in Ohio let me know and u can
                  check out the site and dig!!!!!!
                  > Back to the cork being stuck, I have 2 that are this way, 1st is
                  a White House Vinegar bottle, its clear at the bottom and it looks
                  alot bigger than the whole at the top. 2nd is a Med bottle, same
                  thing, stuck in the bottom of the bottle. Should I really work on
                  getting those out in 1 piece or should I just break it up? I do not
                  know, is it better to have the orig. cork?
                  > Have fun digging!!!!!!!
                  > Thanks!!!!!!!!
                  >
                  > Pamela Hegedus <horsesruscindy@...> wrote:
                  > Hello,
                  > From the bottles you mentioned finding, it sounds like a mixed
                  bag age-wise. The milk bottles, Milk of Magnesias, jar inserts and
                  others are all likely from the 1920-40's. Then, deeper you are
                  getting the older (late 1800's) stuff like the blobs and cork top
                  medicines, etc. It does appear the older bottles are deeper, so do
                  keep going, and my advice is to go in from the bottom and work your
                  way upward. I have recently been digging a dump (same time period as
                  yours) which seemed to be dug years back, but they dug from the top
                  down, and neglected to dig in deep, leaving so much and missing
                  entire sections. I have seen a lot of dumps dug from the top down,
                  and this seems to be the norm in leaving much of it undug. That's
                  just my advice. I have to say I sometimes get some enthusiastic to
                  dig that I just get in there and dig, not worrying about a method!

> [...]
                  > Next question, I have 2 bottles that have the corks down in the
                  bottle, how do I get those out?
                  > Finally, whats the best way to clean the smaller cork top bottles
                  that are so skinny you cant get anything in there to get the mud out?
                  Some of these bottles are 8 inches tall but are 1/2 inch wide, then I
                  have some that the top openings are so small u cant get a baby bottle
                  cleaner thing in there. Is there some kind of solution I can soak
                  them in that will get the white stain and the mud out?
                  > Any info would help alot!
                  > Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
                  >
                  > P.S.
                  > You know anything about Henry K. Wampole & Company?
                  >

                  > ---------------------------------
                  who knows.
                  > Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                  > Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your
                  pocket: mail, news, photos more.

                  Yahoo! FareChase.

                  today!

                • scott z