Digging Luck Sunday

  • Pamela Hegedus
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 14, 2007
      My digging buddy, Gregg (you know him, Fred, he lives near you!) came
      up Sunday from NJ to dig. We went to the local dump site, and the bugs
      were horrid and the humidity up as well. Not perfect digging
      conditions, but it was good to get back out again after a brief time of
      busyness. Anyhow, we came up with two whole jugs and some bottles.
      Nothing rare, but keepers and worth hauling home and cleaning. The one
      jug is a Salsman from Brooklyn NY and the other is a rounded dark brown
      jug. We also found some nice broken pieces, both salt glazed and some
      with stamped on writing. I will post some pictures in my album of
      summer digging.

      Pam (Bottlecindy)
    • Austin's Soda Saloon
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 21, 2007
        This years luck is getting REALLY good. I mean talk about unreal luck!! This has been one of my best summers in the hobby and i have been digging all over and maybe a little to much! I found eight unknown tooled top crowns (HFC) from New Prague Minn all pictoral, and then shortly after that i found a fun 1910 dump along the river near there. I found a Salt glaze crock (shards) that I believe is from New Ulm Minn (Unmarked but attributed to them) and another early crock as well. The best finds came the next day when I returned to the spot and found my first gravitator! It was from Shakopee, the large bottling works there, and then I dug a unknown extract bottle from St Paul Minn, and a unknown local druggist. My friend didnt find much and medicne bottle from Detriot and a few others not worth mentioning. After that we went to a few dumps, found some cool shards and trails and found ourselves at the famed Mankato dump. We walked up and down the river and I spoted a stoneware shard in the bank of the river near and around rocks, bricks and cement. I dug slowly then realized it may be intact. Sure enought i pulled out a WHOLE and MINT one gallon albany beehive jug! Not a scratch or dent or mark! How did it survive being thrown in and around all those bricks and blocks of cement!? Whats better is that it may be from the Mankato Potteries as it does not look like anything I have seen (Red Wing, Western or Fortdodge) before in style.
        WHen the digging is good the buying is better. Well yes thats is the case. I went to Gold Rush our annual mega antique show (about 2500 dealers, maybe less this year) and hit gold. I found many well priced hutches for 5 and 6 each. I found a wax sealer for $4.00 a few cheep local bottles before I had my first good find: a pair mind you, YES PAIR of Ginger Beers fully embossed (one is dated Root 32) from Marshall Minn (I just sold one of these on ebay for ALOT) and these here were in AMBER and EMERALD GREEN, what a find and my friend had walked by them no less than 20 minutes ago. To top that I was walking back to the car to unload as my backpack was full and I was carring stuff as well. I found more gold. A beutifull 3 gallon salt glaze beehive, with cracks, but a nice strong vivid tulip flower for $30.00! WOW what a find now I had to carry it half a mile to the car! ((you never park close to your good finds at gold rush)) I dont know who mad this jug but it is very nice and I like salt glaze jugs so I was happy (Anyone out there familar with OHIO or ILL stonware, this one is from the Ohio area the guy said) Next we pilled in the car and headed to Rochester for the other 1100 dealers. Once there I saw some nice deals on bottles and stoneware, and spotted two other collectors, so the competition was tight. I didnt find much my first wave threw but my friend had already bought a few boxes of stuff for CHEAP! I was getting discoraged when my friend found a great deal on some milk bottles (one of whice is rare and I didnt have) from my favorite town of Austin Minn. Again I headed out to the race track area, which in years past had proven to be a good bottle spot. Already my friend had found his deal and another fellow collector found a labnel under glass bottle. Now it was my turn. I walked by a booth that had some common bottles in it, one i had passed before twice already, and looked in to find a few new bottles, one that looked like a Quart Hutch. As I came closer my heart raced and I was in awe. The town read MANKATO and then I saw the guys name, then the price of $25.00. I could not believe it, a brand new unknown Quart Hutch and it was mine, the bottle of the show in fact! I quickly over paid for the bottle, which i didnt even care about and the lady thanked me and I in turn thanked her for giving me the find of the show in the bottle catagory. WHat a great day. The end tally was 12 bottles, (5 hutches, one cork beer (not a blob), two ginger beers) four stoneware pieces and one wood crate from no other that Austin Minn. And just under $200.00 spent. Not bad at all!
        to top things off, we went digging in the bottling dump yesterday and i had my best luck there, maybe more on that later!!

        Austin

        Pamela Hegedus <horsesruscindy@...> wrote:
        My digging buddy, Gregg (you know him, Fred, he lives near you!) came
        up Sunday from NJ to dig. We went to the local dump site, and the bugs
        were horrid and the humidity up as well. Not perfect digging
        conditions, but it was good to get back out again after a brief time of
        busyness. Anyhow, we came up with two whole jugs and some bottles.
        Nothing rare, but keepers and worth hauling home and cleaning. The one
        jug is a Salsman from Brooklyn NY and the other is a rounded dark brown
        jug. We also found some nice broken pieces, both salt glazed and some
        with stamped on writing. I will post some pictures in my album of
        summer digging.

        Pam (Bottlecindy)

        Minnesota Hutches Wanted! 73 of the 90 towns in Minnesota and counting. The most complete town-by-town to date! Hutchlord@...

      • Pamela Hegedus
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 22, 2007
          GREAT going there, Austin!  You have done well.   I will comment more later, but wanted to say "GREAT GOING!".
          Pam (Bottlecindy)

          The flea market and digging sites here have been decent this summer as well, although nothing super rare has turned up, I got some good deals and have been with my buddy and we have dug some decent keepers.

          Minnesota Hutches Wanted! 73 of the 90 towns in Minnesota and counting. The most complete town-by-town to date! Hutchlord@yahoo. com