Re: [Bottle Collectors] Re: about the flask -- Anchor flask

  • helen teahan
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2006
      Harry Most definately will but first I am waiting on a new computer that will be compatible to my digital camera. (a few weeks away) This is so interesting isn't it - the anchor flask? Just to add a bit more confusion to it all, Anchor is a company here in Aussie that produces vinegars, oils etc. Anchor foods has been going for over 150 years and started as a brewery in South Australia, then opened up another outlet in Fremantle, Western Australia where it started to produce other food lines. It has the same anchor symbol that is shown on our bottles, but I am not ready to admit that it is from the Anchor company especially after seeing your flask. Harry, is it a possibility that these flasks contained alcohol as I think they did, or is it possible they contained oil or vinegar...something to think about
      - Helen
      Harry <pristis@...> wrote:
      Hello, Helen . . .
      The maker of that anchor flask is still uncertain.  In another forum, suggestions of  "Arsenal Glass Co.", "Agnew Glass Co.", and even "Anchor Glass Co." have been offered.  I guess I can add Australian Glass Company to that list.  I have found no historical reference to rely upon.
      Can you post a pic of your flask?
      ---Harry Pristis
      ____________ __
      --- In bottlecollectors@ yahoogroups. com, helen teahan <hteahan@...> wrote:

      > Harry I've just taken another look in the album and I can see now that you date it late 1800's. Next question - AG Co, America. I know my bottle was made in Australia by the Australian Glass Co, but the embossing on base doesn't matc yours. This is weird isn't it. Any suggestions?
      > - Helen
      >
      > helen teahan hteahan@... wrote: Hi Harry
      > It was in the new photo section and my question has been answered thank you. I was talking about the anchor flask, it didn't come out very clear in the new photo section but I followed your link and found. It must be my old computer, I desparately need to upgrade.... could you date that flask for me, I have one similar but in aqua, it has the anchor on it but I don't think mine is as old as yours. I date mine to around 1890.
      > Thanks Harry many regards helen
      >
      > Harry pristis@... wrote:
      >

      > --- In bottlecollectors@ yahoogroups. com, helen teahan hteahan@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Harry
      > > I promise I won't call you an archy LOL. But please can you tell me if the flask in your album has any embossing on it or is it just plain. Thank you - Helen
      > >
      > > Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger .yahoo.com
      > >
      > Hi, Helen . . .
      > Can you be more specific about which flask in which album? I have two albums and five flasks therein. Four of the five flasks have embossed lettering or numbers(a clockface), and the fifth is highly ornate with embossed snowflakes/geometri c figures.
      > I notice that if we click on "new photos" on the homepage of this forum, we get the newly-posted images but NOT the captions which accompany the images in the albums.
      > I always try to add some info in a caption, and perhaps your question is answered in those captions. My album titles are "ALL ANTIQUE" and "ALL EARLY". http://ph.groups. yahoo.com/ group/bottlecoll ectors/photos? m=t
      > I'll be happy to give you any further info I can, if you'll tell me which flask sparked your curiosity.
      > ------Harry Pristis
      >

      > Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger .yahoo.com
      >

      > Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger .yahoo.com

    • Rick W
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
        --- In bottlecollectors@yahoogroups.com, helen teahan <hteahan@...>
        wrote:

        Helen if your talking about the (strapped) flask with the anchor or
        the front with no other embossing, that one is whiskey, you said your
        waiting for a computer that's compatible with your digital camra?I
        thought now days all where compatible? Rick

        wrote:
        > Hello, Helen . . .
        > The maker of that anchor flask is still uncertain. In another
        forum, suggestions of "Arsenal Glass Co.", "Agnew Glass Co.", and
        even "Anchor Glass Co." have been offered. I guess I can add
        Australian Glass Company to that list. I have found no historical
        reference to rely upon.
        > Can you post a pic of your flask?
        > ---Harry Pristis
        > ______________
        > --- In bottlecollectors@yahoogroups.com, helen teahan <hteahan@>
        wrote:

        > > Harry I've just taken another look in the album and I can see
        now that you date it late 1800's. Next question - AG Co, America. I
        know my bottle was made in Australia by the Australian Glass Co, but
        the embossing on base doesn't matc yours. This is weird isn't it.
        Any suggestions?
        > > - Helen
        > >
        > > helen teahan hteahan@ wrote: Hi Harry
        > > It was in the new photo section and my question has been
        answered thank you. I was talking about the anchor flask, it didn't
        come out very clear in the new photo section but I followed your
        link and found. It must be my old computer, I desparately need to
        upgrade.... could you date that flask for me, I have one similar but
        in aqua, it has the anchor on it but I don't think mine is as old as
        yours. I date mine to around 1890.
        > > Thanks Harry many regards helen
        > >
        > > Harry pristis@ wrote:
        > >

        > > --- In bottlecollectors@yahoogroups.com, helen teahan hteahan@
        wrote:

        > > > Harry
        > > > I promise I won't call you an archy LOL. But please can you
        tell me if the flask in your album has any embossing on it or is it
        just plain. Thank you - Helen

        > > > Send instant messages to your online friends
        http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

        > > Hi, Helen . . .
        > > Can you be more specific about which flask in which album? I
        have two albums and five flasks therein. Four of the five flasks
        have embossed lettering or numbers(a clockface), and the fifth is
        highly ornate with embossed snowflakes/geometric figures.
        > > I notice that if we click on "new photos" on the homepage of
        this forum, we get the newly-posted images but NOT the captions
        which accompany the images in the albums.
        > > I always try to add some info in a caption, and perhaps your
        question is answered in those captions. My album titles are "ALL
        ANTIQUE" and "ALL EARLY".
        > > I'll be happy to give you any further info I can, if you'll tell
        me which flask sparked your curiosity.
        > > ------Harry Pristis

        http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

        http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

        http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

      • helen teahan
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
          Thanks Rick, at least now I have a better idea about my bottle, I thought it was but then when this lot came up I wasn't sure. As for computers, yeah they are normally, but my son made this one up for me and he forgot to install the USB port!!!!! Instead of installing one in this old computer, I am getting new one with the lot....................Thanks again RIck.- Helen

          http://au.messenger .yahoo.com

          http://au.messenger .yahoo.com

          http://au.messenger .yahoo.com