Re: [Bottle Collectors] WAKE!!!!! UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!! LOL

  • helen teahan
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
      Hi Pam
      Aren't frogs just so calm making, we live by the river and we get all sorts of frogs and froglets (very tiny ones no bigger than the tip of your small finger) and are lucky because certain frogs come at different times of the year. At present we have motorbikes out, so called because they sound like them and they can grow quiet large- about a fist size. Summer will bring bonkers and winter will bring tree frogs (bright green and gold). plus other types in between. It truly is beautiful living by the river and I wouldn't change it for anything. Anyway as for the dump/building site, we went in yesterday (saturday) and long weekend here so we have the three days to scratch around. It looks like an old pharmacy dump - we came up with 9 small and all different vials and a larger lotion bottle - Barry's Tricopherous for the skin and hair.Made in New York and had embossed on bottle itself - directions in pamphlet.
       I wish I could come up with the directions, this sounds some wonderful kind of youth elixir. Perhaps I'm wishing there haha.
      back today and found three more - Eno's fruit salts (common), Golden eye ointment clay pot and lid (this one I'm really excited about) and Ellimans Embrocation (sounds a bit scary). I'd say the area looks to be around 1900 but if you can help me refine this date I'd be grateful. Back to the dig tomorrow and then carefully cover over our tracks til next time.
      regards to all - Helen

      Pamela Hegedus <horsesruscindy@...> wrote:
      Hey there, Helen,
      Yes, they are tiny frogs, and normally come out in early spring to about June or July in these parts of USA.  They make the neatest, calming sounds..

      That is a pity..you cannot get in there and do some poking around before they cover all with a building?  I would try to look around the dirt when the workers are done for the day and maybe you will find a few bottles.  You never know..

      Bedtime for me, and dreams (I hope) of bottles and filled dumps, waiting to be discovered.    Take care and happy digging and exploring.
      Pam

      helen teahan <hteahan@yahoo. com.au> wrote:
      And there's another word i don't know - honestly it's like learning to talk all over again. LOL So what are peepers Pam. Frogs to my guessing but I may be wrong. I have so much fun in this group just trying to work out what things mean.
      None of you are going to believe this one though, I was out looking for potential spots and taking a stroll in the bush admiring all the beauty of spring and low and behold i found an old dump probably circa 1900 and it's not too far from my property - walking distance - but this is what you won't believe - they are building on it and I've missed all those wonderful bottle etc. I am so kicking myself. : (
      helen

      Pamela Hegedus <horsesruscindy@ yahoo.com> wrote:
      Winter is not far off. I can feel it.  I was digging yesterday, and oh, what a lovely day with the leaves changing and the smell of the dump...yes, the smell of the dump...You gotta laugh at that one.  Anyhow, we all know what I mean.  We found a few keepers: A Triloids cobalt poison, amber beers, sodas, a few medicines and jars.  No rareities, but it was good to be out and be able to dig without the rain falling (which has been the case two weeks running)  Like you, Rick, I don't like the winter and frozen ground, making it impossible to go outside and do anything, namely digging.  I always scout areas in the winter months for old deserted places and possible woods where dumps might be.  Of course, I always look around for the old outhouses and think about getting the courage up to ask permission, knowing I will be looked at like some nutcase from outerspace.

      Helen, you are so lucky to have spring. I love spring, and by the end of our long northeastern Pa. winters, I am more than ready to hear the bird chirping and the peepers making their relaxing noises in the marsh.

      Pam

      Rick W <rickkw7@yahoo. com> wrote:
      --- In bottlecollectors@ yahoogroups. com, helen teahan <hteahan@... >
      wrote:

      Off key? I live off key!!off key is good! hahaha as to the spring, I
      love spring and fall, summer I don't like except for the beginning,
      and winter is OK except for the sub zero days and when the ground
      freezes and you cant dig lol, its to bad not to many people talk in
      this room , that I have seen any way,it seems like a good one, in
      some bottlediggers slash collector clubs, the people seem to know it
      all and are bottle snobs lol , mostly the guys! hahah yea I
      shooting down my own kind its sad but true. ok time to feed the dog
      seeya Rick

      > > Rick W <rickkw7@... >
      wrote:
      zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

      On Yahoo!7
      New Idea: Catch up on all the latest celebrity gossip

    • helen teahan
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
        Rick it's very obvious that I've got bottle digging in my blood because I'd couldn't sleep until I at least searched a little bit. I've had two days and going back tomorrow. It doesn't seem a big site but who knows how deep she goes. I'm really tickled with my pot and lid and they aren't in bad condition with the gold embossing still intact as well as the all the writing and pics. I am really very pleased. I'm happy and would feel likw I have won the lottery if I could find another. Fingers crossed. Until later.Helen

        Rick W <rickkw7@...> wrote:
        --- In bottlecollectors@ yahoogroups. com, helen teahan <hteahan@... >
        wrote:To the dump to the dump to the dump to the dump dump dump
        where the building is going up, like Pam said when they go home for
        the day walk around and search the piles! I was going to work on the
        same route I go every day and noticed that they where knocking down
        a car dealer I didn't think any thing because of where it was
        next to other car dealers and a dunk & donuts, but one day I
        noticed glass sparkling in the sun I got out and walked around
        there where (no signs) so walked around and found ink wells on top
        in the piles, Dr Miles Meed bottles, and a lot of other goodies in
        the piles and on the ground the whole area was a huge 1900 + dump
        we got what we could and then they started building, and all the
        piles are gone and the tons of bottles that where put back in
        the ground for who knows how long now. Moral of the story never
        pass up a nice walk on private property.( with no sings) lol Rick

        wrote:
        > Winter is not far off. I can feel it. I was digging yesterday,
        and oh, what a lovely day with the leaves changing and the smell of
        the dump...yes, the smell of the dump...You gotta laugh at that
        one. Anyhow, we all know what I mean. We found a few keepers: A
        Triloids cobalt poison, amber beers, sodas, a few medicines and
        jars. No rareities, but it was good to be out and be able to dig
        without the rain falling (which has been the case two weeks
        running) Like you, Rick, I don't like the winter and frozen ground,
        making it impossible to go outside and do anything, namely digging.
        I always scout areas in the winter months for old deserted places
        and possible woods where dumps might be. Of course, I always look
        around for the old outhouses and think about getting the courage up
        to ask permission, knowing I will be looked at like some nutcase
        from outerspace.

        > Helen, you are so lucky to have spring. I love spring, and by
        the end of our long northeastern Pa. winters, I am more than ready
        to hear the bird chirping and the peepers making their relaxing
        noises in the marsh.

        > Pam
        >

        > Rick W <rickkw7@... > wrote:
        > --- In bottlecollectors@ yahoogroups. com, helen teahan
        <hteahan@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > Off key? I live off key!!off key is good! hahaha as to the spring,
        > love spring and fall, summer I don't like except for the
        beginning,
        > and winter is OK except for the sub zero days and when the ground
        > freezes and you cant dig lol, its to bad not to many people talk in
        > this room , that I have seen any way,it seems like a good one, in
        > some bottlediggers slash collector clubs, the people seem to know
        it
        > all and are bottle snobs lol , mostly the guys! hahah yea I
        > shooting down my own kind its sad but true. ok time to feed the dog
        > seeya Rick
        > >

        > > > Rick W <rickkw7@>
        > wrote:
        > zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
        > >

        > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
        > > On Yahoo!7
        > > Music: Create your own personalised radio station.

        > ------------ --------- --------- ---
        > On Yahoo!7
        > 360&#176; - start your own blog!

        On Yahoo!7
        Answers: 25 million answers and counting. Learn something new today

      • Pamela Hegedus
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
          Hello, Helen:
          I knew if you checked out that building site, you might find something good.  Boy, you did well. I would be over there as much as I could when the workers were gone, or on weekends. I know there has to be more stuff around.  Dig a bit a long various sections, and see if more glass is coming up.  I recall finding some super bottles when a church was rebuilding, and they had mounds of fill dirt. In the fill dirt, were bottles--mostly old druggist bottles from the local town, but we found some neat stuff.  I always scan the side of the road and look for old glass, then if I see something that looks like older glass, like aqua colored, etc., I hop out and check further. Many a time I have found dumps that way.  My best bottle was found in a woods, close to the road, stuck about 6 inches in the soil.  It was a large superficial dump, but filled with some goodies, like Warner Safe Diabetes Cure, and so on.

          Autumn is really here now, and the trees are changing and dropping leaves all over. I feel "dump" in the air! LOL.  I plan if the rain holds off, to get out and check this old barn I found bottles behind, and do a little digging there this week.

          Good digging, Helen.
          Pam

          wrote:

          Off key? I live off key!!off key is good! hahaha as to the spring, I
          love spring and fall, summer I don't like except for the beginning,
          and winter is OK except for the sub zero days and when the ground
          freezes and you cant dig lol, its to bad not to many people talk in
          this room , that I have seen any way,it seems like a good one, in
          some bottlediggers slash collector clubs, the people seem to know it
          all and are bottle snobs lol , mostly the guys! hahah yea I
          shooting down my own kind its sad but true. ok time to feed the dog
          seeya Rick

          > > Rick W <rickkw7@... >
          wrote:
          zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz