Re: [Bottle Collectors] sweet factory dump!!

  • minnesota hutchsoda
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2006
      My friend and I returned to the dump area the other day with probes in hand and began probing the area. It is unreal. The dump is about 30 feet wide and 50 feet long and is mostly buried under six inches to foot of top soil. However the edge of the hill the bottles and shards are expossed partly and the stuff is iches or less under the soil. This is how I found the dump. My friend began digging a shallow hole at the top of the hill and we found the dump to continue just under a inch of dirt here. We plan on digging one last time this year together, before covering up everything till next year. We cant be to carefull here and I worked a little as my friend dug at covering up shards that were exposed. As for the permission I will work on that this winter and see what I can find/figure out....thanks everyone and Pam for the comments...I am headed out to the famous Iron Range area in the north this weekend to explore and check on some hutch dumps as well as take in a collection I was invited to see this spring!! Whish me luck and hope to come back with another story to tell!!

      Austin.

      PS I love factory dumps I have dug three now and I know of one other one I plan on hitting soon to in the west part of our state. I have dug extesivly in the Red Wing Stoneware dump, and a local sewer pipe dump as well as this bottling works dump and another newer dump. They are great cause you find unkown styles and a good range of bottles there and get a first hand look at what the company used etc. Anyone else dig factory dumps out there? I would LOVE to dig a glass house dump (Like Illionis glass Co, Streator or even Wis Glass Co) Love to here if anyone has and the story here...there is SOOO much history in these!!

      Pamela Hegedus <horsesruscindy@...> wrote:
      I am old, but continue to dig...LOL.  I guess I will until I am unable, which I hope never happens. I guess I am an obsessed digger and collector. I do not have a great deal of money, so my bottles come mostly from digging, or else digging and selling to get the bottles I cannot afford otherwise.

      Like Bev, I recall many fond memories of my digging experiences.  I loved it back in the late 60's, early 70's, when I had to ride my bike to find dumps, then hauled back my finds in a basket mounted on my handlebars and a buckets hanging from them! LOL.  I also didn't use a tall shovel and cultivator but used the small, garden-type ones, as they would fit inside my bicycle basket or bucket!    I recall driving, and taking my digger buddy at the time, who also experienced those days when we were too young to drive.  I cut my foot badly, needing medical treatment, and being my right foot I could not drive without it bleeding all over, so she drove, just having her learner's permit.  Boy, what a ride!    I then recall one night digging all night in a deep dump site (we had hit water and were yet finding good pontilled bottles)  My digging buddy, held the lantern, and we each took turns digging and pulling out bottles!  Between he and I we came out of there with some good pontilled inks, medicines and coloured blob top sodas.  What a night!

      Good luck all.
      Pam-Bottlecindy

      ..still raining in northeastern Pa.~

      I would find out  our if park is state, city or private property. I know I live in a area where they used to just dump on top of ground. the property is now owned by private lot owners but  used to dig as they hated all the trash. Found many wonderful bottles.. Should have permission to dig. I would also be very careful as to not get cut as when they are mostly on top many broke. Also go digging with a partner you might need help. I no longer dig as I am older but did note when digging many top ground items broke or held water for wild animals. Saw many snakes and one day a poor racoon had put his head in for water and got stuck. My husband broke the bottle and allow him to go his merry way. A fun day to recall bev

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • Bob Stahr
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2006
        I have been digging at one of the Hemingray Glass factory sites on and off for the last 10 years. Don't use gloves much, the buried glass isn't extremely sharp. Those that are we recognize right away are are very careful. Although I have found only a handful of whole bottles there, the shards of broken ones are priceless in identifying what bottles they produced.

        Bob Stahr
        Hemingray Collector/Historian

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 6, 2006
          Very cool. Thanks Bob, keep up the good work!

          Bob Stahr <bob@...> wrote:
[...]

            On Yahoo!7
            Answers: 25 million answers and counting. Learn something new today