THATCHERS MILK BOTTLE

  • linda45764
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2004
      can anyone tell me anything about a bottle i have ...it has a
      embossed man on a stool milking a cow above that is absolutely pure
      milk ,back of it is thatchers dairy bottle patent 1884 one quart
      bottle bottom says crownford china co..it has a wire that hold the
      lid to the jar that is porcelian
    • Pamela Hegedus
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2004
        Hello

        Your bottle sounds like a reproduction.  They made reproductions that look like the old milk bottles, but the old ones did not have "China company.." on them.  Having this on the bottle definitely indicates a new, reproduction bottle.  They are not worth anything value-wise aside from the decorative use, which some folks enjoy having in their country kitchens etc.
        Good luck with your bottle ventures.

        Pam--Bottlecindy

        linda45764 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        can anyone tell me anything about a bottle i have ...it has a
        embossed man on a stool milking a cow above that is absolutely  pure
        milk  ,back of it is thatchers dairy bottle patent  1884 one quart
        bottle bottom says crownford china co..it has a wire that hold the
        lid to the jar that is porcelian

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Jim Sinsley
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2004
          I am by no means a milk bottle collector but am certain that what you have is a reproduction, from the 1960s or 70s. I am not positive that it is an exact replica of an original, hopefully someone else on the list can tell us. The CROWNFORD CHINA is the absolute dead give away. Also these are usually seen in bright pastel colors, pink or blue or ?,  which the originals would never have been made in. These were not made to fool anyone but for a market other than antique collectors.

          I sincerely hope you like it anyway and didn't pay too much. It is not of much value if you want antique or older items but if you like it for what it is that is great.

          Happy collecting.     Jim Sinsley

          linda45764 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          can anyone tell me anything about a bottle i have ...it has a
          embossed man on a stool milking a cow above that is absolutely  pure
          milk  ,back of it is thatchers dairy bottle patent  1884 one quart
          bottle bottom says crownford china co..it has a wire that hold the
          lid to the jar that is porcelian

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • richard kern
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2, 2004