Re: [Bottle Collectors] ooooops forgot pic

  • bottldigr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2002
      Mary Ellen,
      What picture on ebay? The Devils Island bottle? I am confused.
      Bill

    • David Whitten
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2002
        Hi Mary Ellen,
        Hey you did good for that bottle. It is a very common type
        of 'refrigerator bottle', used as a water bottle by many people in the
        1940s through the 1970s. I think it was originally sold containing orange
        juice and/or prune juice. But housewives saved them in large numbers to re-
        use as water bottles. I have seen examples made by Owens-Illinois Glass Co
        (diamond/oval/I or "I" inside of "O" trademark on base), Anchor Hocking
        Glass Co,(anchor trademark) & several other glass companies. They were
        made by the millions and I see them at antique malls pretty often. With
        the lid, the price at most antique malls/flea markets is from $5 to 20.00
        but the real market value I would put at about 2 to 3 dollars. Since you
        sold it at 5.00 without a lid, you got a good deal! I just browsed ebay
        and found one with an older lid for only 2.99 and no bid (ending in a few
        hours).
        Happy collecting!
        David