[BSW] Handouts from last meeting re: Flora of Virginia

  • Kathy Bilton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2014
      Here are the three hand-outs from Marion's June 3rd presentation about the
      Flora of Virginia:

      http://botsoc.org/Major_taxonomic_changes_in_Flora_of_Virginia_Families_4-16-14.pdf
      http://botsoc.org/Lobstein_Modified_Key_to_Keys.doc
      http://botsoc.org/Overview_of_Flora_of_Virginia-updated_6-3-14 BSW.pdf

      There will be a questionnaire available later this summer about the Flora
      of VA App which is under development.

      From the flora webpage http://www.floraofvirginia.org/ :

      Apropos of the App

      The Flora Project's App Committee had its first meeting in early February
      to plan our approach of creation of the App. Three subgroups are charged
      with nailing down content needs of three main audiences, K-12 students,
      university students and professionals, and serious amateur botanists.
      Another subgroup is determining exactly the data fields the App will use
      and considering how the information will be distributed.

      Database work is complete, thanks to a grant from the Virginia
      Environmental Endowment. The Virginia Native Plant Society raised more
      than $8,000 toward app development, and a hearty year-end response from
      our friends will also help with this effort. Once we have our exact wish
      list, we will work with programmers and seek grants to further cover
      development. Stay tuned!

      Next meeting: Tuesday, September 2 at 7 P.M.

      Several members will be giving 5-10 minute presentations on various
      topics.

      As in the past, our September "Members' Night" will provide an opportunity
      for several members to share some of their botanical travel or research
      slides, or to present other short subjects (10 minutes or less) to which
      this format is especially suited. Members who plan to present slides
      should send an email to Karen Redden (redden.karen at-the-domain
      gmail.com).

      There will be a laptop available for powerpoint presentations or other
      digital media that you bring on a CD or USB drive.