[BSW] Orchid Decline Paper

  • Kathy Bilton
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2014
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      Date: Sat, 3 May 2014 13:23:08 +0000
      From: Rod Simmons <Rod.Simmons@...>
      To: "armn@..." <armn@...>
      Subject: Orchid Decline Paper

      An excellent paper from our friends Wes Knapp and Dick Wiegand at the
      Maryland Wildlife and Heritage Service:

      From: "Knapp, Wesley M." <WKnapp@...>
      Date: May 2, 2014 7:27:54 AM EDT
      To: Undisclosed recipients:;

      Friends and Colleagues:

      For the past few years Dick Wiegand and I’ve been writing up a
      paper detailing the decline of the Orchids of the Catoctin
      Mountains of Frederick County Maryland.  I am honored that this
      paper has been published through the international conservation
      journal Biodiversity and Conservation. The results of this
      41-year study show a precipitous decline in 19 of the 21 species
      of Orchids known from the Catoctin Mountains .  Annual census
      data at 167 sites from throughout the Catoctin Mountains on
      protected and unprotected lands (private and public) show a loss
      of three species from the study area, a decline of >90 %
      (ranging from 99 to 91 %) in seven species, and a decline of <90
      % (ranging from 51 to 87 %) for nine species. We tested the
      hypothesis that this decline is due to intensified herbivory by
      white-tailed deer. The overall orchid census data is
      significantly inversely-correlated (R = -0.93) to the
      white-tailed deer harvest data of Frederick County (a surrogate
      for population size), which includes the entirety of the study
      area.

      A link to this paper is below. This is an Open Access paper so
      anyone can download, read, and reproduce it. This paper
      documents a trend many have witnessed in adjacent State and
      regions. Please pass this paper on to our various conservation
      partners.

      http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10531-014-0698-2

      All the best,

      Wes

      Wesley Knapp
      Maryland Department of Natural Resources
      Wildlife and Heritage Service
      PO Box 68 (909 Wye Mills Rd)
      Wye Mills, MD 21679