[BSW] Inquiry from a library visitor re: C and O phenology data

  • Kathy Bilton
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2014
      From Robin Everly:

      Hi BSW members:

      I’ve been helping Kelly Fox find information for her thesis which is on
      flowering phenology of certain species in the C&O Canal area.  She has been
      very thorough in her research and pretty much contacted everyone I suggested
      so far.  Ed Barrows mentioned to her that Dan Nicolson conducting walks
      along Bear Island for 30 to 40 years and gave out a handout with the first
      blooming dates of species in her thesis.  Does anyone have a copy of this
      handout that can be given to her?

      Here’s Kelly Fox’s project in a nutshell:

      I am currently working on my graduate project (Hood College, Environmental
      Biology) coordinating citizen science efforts collecting phenology data
      along the Canal and comparing current and historical data.  I am searching
      for any previously collected data (blooming dates, fruiting dates, leaves
      changing colors and dropping leaves) for 6 particular species: Claytonia
      virginia (spring beauty), Viola soroia (blue violet), Acer rubrum (red
      maple), Asimina triloba (Paw Paw), Lindera benzoin (Northern Spicebush) and
      Mertensa virginica (Virginia bluebells).  The area I am really focusing on
      is Mile Marker 13.7- MM 15 along the towpath, River Trail, and Ford Mine
      Trail.

      She is also looking for information naturalist and volunteer tour guide
      Helen Johnston collected during her walks at the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal
      National Historical Park.

      If you have any information for Kelly from either Dan or Helen—please feel
      free to contact her directly at :  Kelly_fox@...

      Thanks, Robin Everly

      Robin A. Everly

      Branch Librarian, Botany-Horticulture Library
      Smithsonian Libraries
      National Museum of Natural History
      Room W422, MRC 154
      P.O. Box 37012
      Washington D.C. 20013-7012
      Phone: 202-633-1685
      E-mail: everlyr@...
      Website: http://www.sil.si.edu/libraries/bothort/
      Smithsonian Libraries:  Connecting. Ideas. Information. You.