[BSW] Chocolate story in Post + Next meeting: "Ethnobotany, Material Culture, and Linguistics"

  • Kathy Bilton
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12
      Recent Washington Post story about our most recent BSW speaker, Ben
      Rasmussen:

      At Potomac Chocolate, local chocolate-maker turns beans into bars
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/kidspost/at-potomac-chocolate-local-chocolate-maker-turns-beans-into-bars/2014/02/06/dc1f829a-890a-11e3-833c-33098f9e5267_story.html

      Our next meeting will be on March 4 at 7 PM. The speaker will be
      Jonathan Amith. A flyer for the meeting can be found here:
      http://botsoc.org/mar14.pdf

      Jonathan D Amith (Ph.D. Anthropology, Yale University, 2000) is an
      anthropologist, linguist, ethnobiologist, and historian. He will be
      presenting his work and will show a film which he co-produced.

      This documentary is about an elderly Nahuatl-speaking man, Silvestre
      Pantaleón, and provides a window into a precarious world of rapid change:
      the demise of an endangered language, a shifting local ecology, and the
      displacement of local crafts by commercial manufactures. Approaching
      ethnobotany from the perspective of linguistics and material culture
      creates an opportunity to explore the impact of the aforementioned changes
      on how local flora is talked about and used.

      Location: VZ Conference Room WG33 (West Wing-Ground floor) Smithsonian
      Institution, National Museum of Natural History

      ALL ARE WELCOME
      Light refreshments will be served

      Pre-meeting dinner: 5:30 pm at the Elephant & Castle Pub and Restaurant,
      1201 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W. (202-347-7707), diagonally across from the
      Old Post Office Pavilion at 12th and Pennsylvania, a few blocks from the
      museum. Federal Triangle (Orange/Blue) is the closest Metro Station and
      Metro Center (Red/Orange/Blue) is nearby.

      If you do not have a Smithsonian badge, please let Robin Everly
      (everlyr@...) know by March 3 if you are coming to the meeting so that
      she can arrange for badges.