(BSW) An invitation from the Washington Academy of Sciences

  • Kathy Bilton
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2005
      From the Washington Academy of Sciences via Emanuela Appetiti:
      I am pleased to forward you this invitation from the Washington Academy of
      Sciences, hoping you will find the initiative of interest.

      All the best,

      Emanuela Appetiti

      Dear Colleague,

      Global competition is creating an urgent need to motivate and attract
      some of the best and brightest students into science and technology
      careers.

      This year, the Washington Academy of Sciences is expanding its "STARS"
      (Science and Technology Aptitude Recognition for Schools)
      youth-in-science outreach program.

      Last year, the program included not only participation in Senior High
      School Science Fairs, but also science events at Elementary Schools, a
      robotics competition involving 20 Middle Schools, and judging of the
      (67) outstanding student papers for the Montgomery Blair Magnet Research
      Convention. Four of these students became semi finalists in the National
      Intel Science Competition. The AAAS supported all our efforts through a
      grant. This year we are planning at least eight local events.

      We are interacting with many area schools and allocating a large number
      of awards to secondary school students as well as recognizing
      outstanding teachers. Award winning student projects will also be
      recognized in the WAS Journal and on our Web site.

      Our biggest asset is your expertise and dedication and that of your
      fellow professionals. I am writing to offer you the opportunity to
      participate as a judge in a school science project. You will not need
      any special preparation, and the Washington Academy of Sciences will
      provide everything needed at the school.

      Typically this will involve about a 4-hour commitment at a
      participating school (in the DC, MD or Northern VA area) sometime in the
      January 15-March 31, 2006 time frame.
      The number of schools and students benefiting from the "STARS" Program
      depends directly on your commitment to participate.

      If you are interested, please e-mail me a one-liner by November 30th
      2005, saying:

      "I would like to be included in the WAS Judges' Roster",

      and include your name, e-mail, address and telephone number.
      You will be notified as soon as the schools give us their event dates.

      I believe you would find your interaction with fellow judges, the
      schools, and those enthusiastic students to be a worthwhile, rewarding,
      and fun experience and look forward to our collaboration in this
      exciting 2006 WAS initiative.

      Yours truly,

      Paul Hazan
      WAS Vice President for the Jr. Academy