[BSW] Upcoming events and remembrance of Larry Morse

  • Kathy Bilton
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2012
      Remember, the next BSW meeting is on the 6th of November, election night,
      for the U.S. and for us. So vote early and then join us for an evening
      meeting. Amanda Treher of NatureServe will be presenting on her research
      on the genus Rhynchospora: Conservation and Taxonomic Revisions. Hope
      to see everyone there!!!

      ALso on the 30th, Rod simmons will be speaking for MNPS about Oak Hybrids
      of Our Region:
      http://mdflora.org/events.html?eventId=538237&EventViewMode=EventDetails

      I received the following from Stan Shetler which I am passing along with
      his permission.

      Remembering Larry Morse

      Stanwyn G. Shetler

      (I regret that because of my health I am not able to attend the tribute to
      Larry, but I would like to offer a few reminiscences in this short
      statement.)

      I first met Larry Morse in the late 1960s through Dr. John Beaman at
      Michigan State University when Larry was an undergraduate there. This led
      to a summer internship with me at the Smithsonian Institution for two
      summers to work on the brand new Flora North America Program. Larry was
      developing a program for computer-assisted plant identification that we on
      the FNA Editorial Committee thought might be applied to the Flora work.
      This collaboration lasted for several years until FNA was discontinued.
      His work is documented in part in publications. Our last FNA collaboration
      was a bibliography of the FNA Report series.

      Larry was always upbeat and cheerful—a pleasure to be around. He was
      eager and worked tirelessly on projects, doing whatever needed to be done.
      Through FNA and his internships he got some of his first introductions to
      the taxonomic community at large. Larry, in turn, introduced many in this
      community to the idea of computer-assisted identification and key-making.
      In my book he is one of the pioneers in this field, and I will always
      remember his significant contribution.

      October 13, 2012