[BSW] Fern walk June 30-July 1 in PA

  • Kathy Bilton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2012
      Joan King has written to let the BSW know about an upcoming weekend of
      fern walks led by Tim Draude. Contact Joan if you are interesting in
      going. jsking11@...

      Fern Walk 2012

      June 30-July1

      A two-day fern walk; join us for both days or just one. This walk is free
      and open to the public. Lodging is on your own; bring your bag lunch for
      each day. Walk rating: easy.

      Leader: Tim Draude 717-393-7233
      Preferred contact: Joan King jsking11@...
      Joan's cell phone # for use of that weekend only: 717-406-9666.
      Provide us with your email address so we can contact you about
      cancellations.

      1st day
      Meet at Susquehanna State Park, MD, at 9:30 AM.

      We will meet at the Rock Run Mill in Susquehanna State Park at 9:30 AM.
      See Rock Run historic area on the following map:
      http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/images/susquehanna_map_nopoints.gif

      Susquehanna State Park is located three miles northwest of Havre de Grace
      off Route 155 in Harford County, MD. The park is approximately 35 miles
      north of Baltimore. Take I-95 north or south to Route 155, exit 89.
      Proceed west on Route 155 to Route 161. Turn right on Route 161 and then
      right on Rock Run Road. Follow Rock Run Road to the park.

      Rock Run Mill, Rock Run Mansion and the Jersey Toll House are accessible
      by bearing right onto Quaker Bottom Road and then bearing right onto Rock
      Run Road. When you come to the "Y" bear right again, staying on Rock Run.
      Cross over the bridge and the historic buildings are on the right.

      The first day we will be in the Susquehanna State Park and look at
      Dryopteris x leedsii. Dryopteris celsa has been reported there and we will
      search for it.

      There is a hart's tongue fern growing on the wall of the mill where we
      meet. We can't get close enough to it for a correct identification;
      possibly it is the European variety.

      We will travel to several spots this day and see Lady Fern, Silvery Glade
      Fern, Fragile Fern (Cystopteris tenuis), Sensitive fern, Ebony Spleenwort,
      Common Polypody (Polypodium virginianum), Cystopteris bulbifera and the
      Tennessee Bladder Cystopteris tennesseensis, Asplenium rhizophyllum ,
      Purple Cliff-brake Pellaea atropurpurea, Blunt Lobed Woodsia, the
      magnificent hybrid Leeds Wood fern, Dryopteris × leedsii, and the rare
      Lobed Spleenwort, Asplenium pinnatifidum and the more common Mountain
      Spleenwort, Asplenium montanum, and the rare sterile hybrid of the two,
      Trudell’s spleenwort, with a much bigger frond than either parent, and
      many others.

      Last stop of the day, Bald Hill, a serpentine habitat. Adiantum, possibly
      alueticum. Also Pteridium aquilinum var. pseudocaudatum, southern braken
      fern.

      2nd Day:

      Meet at Dr. Gerald Hudgen's garden, Fern Dell at 10:00. We will enjoy his
      four acres of ferns and fern allies; also numerous native and exotic,
      indigenous and introduced wildflowers, perennials, shrubs, and trees, many
      of which are rare.

      We will lunch there; bring your own bag lunch.
      3115 Woolsey Dr
      Churchville, MD 21028
      410-836-2469

      FROM THE INTERSECTION OF RTS 22 & 136
      in CHURCHVILLE, MD:

      Follow Rt 136 North for 0.9 mile to Rolling Road

      Turn Right on Rolling Road into Rolling Green Development

      Follow Whitefield Rd ~ 0.5 mile to Woolsey Drive

      Fern Dell is at the 4th Driveway on the Left (Look for the Sign)

      Please Park on the Street
      From HDG Follow Rt 155 to Rt 22; turn Right 1 Block to Rt 136

      From Bel Air Follow Rt 22 East to Rt 136 in Churchville

      From Aberdeen Follow Rt 22 West to Rt 136 in Churchville

      From the North Follow Rt 136 South to Rolling Road

      From I-95, take Exit 80 at Rt. 543. Go west on 543 to Rt. 136.
      Turn north on Rt. 136; after crossing Rt. 22, continue 0.9 miles
      To Rolling Rd.