[BSW] March 31 field trip + More....

  • Kathy Bilton
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 23, 2012
      Electricity from trees
      Plants have long been known as the lungs of the earth, but a new finding
      has found they may also play a role in electrifying the atmosphere.
      http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-03-electricity-trees.html

      Peg Kay added a note about cherry trees:

      A note in case you miss the main event.  Typically, the cherry blossoms at
      Meadowlark Gardens arrive about 10 days after the blossoms at the tidal
      basin.  And they are just as gorgeous.

      Don't forget that this year's Washington Academy of Sciences Capital
      Science 2012 conference will be held March 31 - April 1, with the BSW
      presentations being given on the 1st.
      http://www.washacadsci.org/capsci12/body.htm
      http://www.botsoc.org/2012CapSciBotSoc.pdf

      The first BSW field trip of the season is scheduled for Saturday, March
      31. The plan is to do our regular trip to Billy Goat Trail near Old
      Angler's Inn. We will meet at 9 a.m. in the parking area across from Old
      Angler's. Map to area: http://bit.ly/GWojnl
      (See Paul Peterson's findings about the area below. ANd below that for
      suggested things to bring.)

      http://www.botsoc.org/Bear_Island_list_April_2011.pdf
      http://www.botsoc.org/Bear_Island_key_April_2011.pdf

      The next trip is scheduled for the same time and place on the following
      Saturday, April 7. And a trip to Turkey Run on the Virginia side of the
      river will take place the next Saturday, April 14.

      As you may know there has been concern about the parking across from Old
      Angler's and you may wish to try to carpool and arrive early to try to be
      sure to get a parking spot. Here is what Paul Peterson found when he went
      to scout the area on March 10:

      [I'm sorry - I was quite certain I had already sent Paul's message out
      shortly after I received it on March 12 but saw no sign of it just now in
      the message archive.]

      On 10 March 2012 I went with Kostya Romaschenko and my kids to hike along
      the Billy Goat trail from our usual meeting place across from Old Angler's
      Inn. There is limited parking in the regular lot and along McCarther
      Blvd. There was no construction activity, probably because it was
      Saturday, and I saw no construction workers. So parking in the regular
      lot was allowed. I saw plenty of people using the regular parking lot and
      it was nearly full (parking lot across from Old Angler's) when I arrived
      at 2 pm. However, I parked along McCarther with another 50 or so
      vehicles. I did not receive a ticket upon returning at around 6 pm. We
      walked to the entry to the Billy Goat trail, first crossing the bridge
      over the canal to the west side near the Potomac River. We then proceeded
      directly to the river an hiked up this for about 100 meters then returned
      to the towpath. There were many people using the towpath here and yes
      there is construction, and large drainage structure ins nearly finished
      near the first bend in the path just below Widewater near the large Rock
      outcrop. The path is in excellent shape (smooth and well grated) and wide
      enough to drive two pickups side by side here. There is an additional
      fence at the lower end of widewater a few hundred meters before you
      connect to the Billy Goat trail but there is a short, well-worn trail that
      cuts on the river side to go around this. So, yes there is a fence
      immediately below Old Angler's resticting movement, although most walkers
      stepped over this rather than take the detour (trail) we took via the
      river to go around the fence; and then another fence at the lower end of
      Widewater. I think we should all enjoy our regular scheduled field trips
      as planned! Saludos...Paul

      Suggested items to bring:

      Handlens, sunscreen, field guide(s), binoculars, lunch, raingear if
      weather is iffy, hat, printout of plant list and key, camera, good walking
      shoes, jacket (maybe not needed this year!)
    • LaserBlast@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 23, 2012
        HI all -

        On Cherry Trees, over the past few years I've compiled a list of cherry tree viewing alternatives.
        Here is my latest version of the list:

        Your additions to it are most welcome!

        Sincerely,
        Kathy Jentz
        Editor/Publisher
        Washington Gardener Magazine
        826 Philadelphia Ave.
        Silver Spring MD 20910
        301-588-6894
        WGardenermag@...
        www.WashingtonGardener.com

        Follow us on:
        http://twitter.com/WDCGardener
        facebook.com/WashingtonGardenerMagazine
        washingtongardener.blogspot.com

        Our mission: to help your Washington, DC, area garden grow better!
        Subscribe today for $20 a year by sending a check to the address above.
        The magazine makes a great gift for gardening friends!

        * Help save paper - do you need to print this email? *