[BSW] VNPS proposal for a memorial for Larry Morse

  • Kathy Bilton
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2012
      I received this email from the president of the Virginia Native Plant
      Society, Sally Anderson, to let people know what they are doing and to to
      invite participation from BSW members.

      To the Botanical Society of Washington:

      Following is a proposal from the Virginia Native Plant Society to begin a
      fund at the Flora of Virginia Project to memorialize Larry Morse. Larry
      was a charter member of the Virginia Wildflower Preservation Society,
      which became the Virginia Native Plant Society in 1989. Larry was a board
      member for about the first ten years of the society's existence, until he
      joined NatureServe.

      Larry was active in establishing the VNPS Registry Program, which
      continues to acknowledge special plant communities around the state. While
      these properties are rarely unusual or large enough to qualify for Natural
      Heritage Sites, we know that our interest in these properties has led to
      better stewardship in many cases. As recently as 2008, Larry led a field
      trip for our annual meeting in Northern Virginia. Past president Nicky
      Staunton remembers him as 'an inspiring botanist of field trips, a quiet,
      observant, kind man with a sense of humor.'

      Our proposal is to have donations toward the Flora in any amount sent with
      the designation 'Larry Morse Memorial'. Donations would be sent directly
      to the Flora of Virginia Project, PO Box 512, Richmond, VA 23218-0512. We
      have spoken with Bland Crowder and arranged that gifts will be
      acknowledged by the FOVP. You can find out more about the FOVP at
      www.floraofvirginia.org .

      Our hope is that we might reach the $1000 level, Virginia Bluebell, which
      would mean that his name would be listed in the first edition. With luck,
      we might even reach a higher level, such as the $4000 Family Sponsorship,
      or one of the higher levels. A copy of the new Flora of Virginia will be
      delivered to Larry's sister when it is published in November.

      We plan to share this with our members in our upcoming Bulletin, and we
      would be pleased if your organization wanted to join the effort to
      remember our mutual friend.

      Sally Anderson
      President, Virginia Native Plant Society
      400 Blandy Farm Lane, #2
      Boyce, VA  22620
      540-837-1600
      www.vnps.org