[BSW] February 7 meeting + other news

  • Kathy Bilton
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2012
      Note to BSW members: After writing to BSW member Peter Whitney last night,
      I received an email from his wife, Martha, this morning.

      Dear Kathy,
      Peter is in Virginia Hospital Center in a coma. He underwent another
      open heart surgery and has not regained conciousness. We are watching,
      hoping, praying. could you please share this with the society? All
      thoughts and energy for healing and peace most gratefully accepted.
      Martha

      BOTANICAL SOCIETY OF WASHINGTON
      930th meeting
      Flyer available at: http://botsoc.org/feb12.pdf

      Date: Tuesday, 7 February, 2012 at 7:00 p.m.
      Speaker: Dr. Alison Colwell
      Topic: The Yosemite Sky Islands Project
      (with a brief detour to the Long Bridge in Washington DC)
      Location: Cathy Kerby Room (CE-340), Smithsonian Institution,
      National Museum of Natural History.

      ALL ARE WELCOME

      Light refreshments will be served.

      Pre-meeting dinner: 5:30 pm at the Elephant & Castle Pub and Restaurant,
      1201 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W., Phone: 202-347-7707. The restaurant is
      diagonally across from the Old Post Office Pavilion at 12thand
      Pennsylvania, a few blocks from the museum. Federal Triangle
      (Orange/Blue) is the closest Metro Station and Metro Center
      (Red/Orange/Blue) is nearby.

      If you do not have an SI badge, please let Robin Everly (everlyr@...)
      know if you are coming to the meeting by February 6, so she can arrange
      for badges.

      Upcoming speakers:

      March 6 - Alan Whittemore – Research on genus Celtis
      April 3 – Daniel Bell - Blueberry genetics
      May 1 — TBD
      June 5 - Tom Mirenda – Orchids of Western Australia

      Website: http://www.botsoc.org