[BSW] Reminder - meeting tomorrow + mushroom website + spider story

  • Kathy Bilton
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2011
      Just a reminder - tomorrow is the next BSW meeting.

      Date: Tuesday, October 4th 7:00 PM
      Speaker: Dr. Steven Casper, ethnobotanist, with the FDA
      Topic: Traditional history of use versus modern supplement conditions of
      use

      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

      I just learned about this site from Rod Simmons:
      http://mushroomobserver.org

      "Purpose: The purpose of this site is to record observations about
      mushrooms, help people identify mushrooms they aren’t familiar with, and
      expand the community around the scientific exploration of mushrooms
      (mycology). Some have asked what counts as a mushroom. This site takes a
      very broad view. While the emphasis is on the large fleshy fungi, other
      fungi such as lichens, rust and molds as well as fungus-like organisms
      such as slime-molds are all welcome. Ultimately, I hope this site will
      become a valuable resource for both amateur and professional mycologists.
      I like to think of it as a living field guide for mushrooms or a
      collaborative mushroom field journal."

      The Tangled Web of Montana Spiders

      As invasive plants take root and spread in the grasslands of Missoula, a
      tiny native spider is flourishing on the plants and adding to the havoc on
      the ecosystem. Producer Ari Daniel Shapiro met with a scientist who is
      monitoring the transformation and trying to keep the cascade of events in
      check.

      http://www.loe.org/shows/segments.html?programID=11-P13-00039&segmentID=6