(BSW) April 11 fieldtrip to Turkey Run

  • Kathy Bilton
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2009
      April 5, 2009

      Hi All

      This is my plan for 11 April 2009 for Turkey Run Park, weather willing.

      Meet in parking lot C1 at 9:30 a.m. If there are not enough parking spots
      in C1, park in C2. You can walk from C2 to C1 through the picnic area.
      There are restrooms in the picnic area.

      As a group, we'll pool our knowledge, stop at 11 designated stops, discuss
      each stop, and update Park worksheets.

      We'll need people to be in charge of lists for Invertebrates, Vertebrates,
      Dicots 1, Dicots 2, Dicots 3, Dicots 4, Monocots, Nonflowering Plants,
      etc. I'll put the worksheets (lists) and the vegetation map online later
      this week. This is an active-learning exercise.

      Green cheers, Edd Barrows

      __________________________

      Stop 1. Orientation. Successional Tuliptree Forest (Circumneutral Type)
      (Community 25), parking lot and picnic area.

      Stop 2. Dry Mesic Chestnut Oak Northern Red Oak Forest (Community 3).

      Stop 3. An Embarrassment of Riches. Rich Boulderfield Forest (Community
      10).

      Stop 4. Go West People! Community 10, slope east of Turkey Run.

      Stop 5. Moss Madness (Community 10).

      Stop 6. Repeated Richness. Rich Cove Mesic Slope Forest (Twinleaf Blue
      Cohosh Type) (Community 7)

      Stop 7. Slopes Revisited (Community 10).

      Stop 8. Community 7, small stream.

      Stop 9. Thrilling Trillum Treat (Community 7).

      Stop 10. Pink Perfection (Rich Floodplain Forest) (Community 13).

      Stop 11. Colonists near Long Island (Silver Maple Floodplain Forest, many
      rock chairs, a lunch site) (Community 14)

      On your own, hike west across Dead Run to the American Legion Bridge
      wonderful cliffs, even some caves.

      * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

      Map of Turkey Run Park showing trails and parking:
      http://botsoc.org/fieldtrips/turkeyrunmap.jpg

      (Not as clear as would be nice as it is from a picture taken of the map
      behind glass at the C-1 parking area.)

      Directions:

      Turkey Run Park is located in McLean, Virginia, two miles off the Capital
      Beltway (Interstate 495) on the George Washington Memorial Parkway (GWMP).

      * From I-495 (The Beltway) - Take exit 43. Follow GWMP for 2 miles to
      the Turkey Run Park exit on the right. Follow signs into the park.
      * From Washington, D.C. and Old Town Alexandria: Take the GWMP
      northbound. Take a right-hand exit at the Turkey Run Park sign just after
      the Parkway Headquarters/U.S. Park Police Substation. Make first right
      turn into the park.

      From Chain Bridge; Right onto Rt. 123. Right onto the GWMP. Take a
      right-hand exit at the Turkey Run Park sign just after the Parkway
      Headquarters/U.S. Park Police Substation, which is just beyond the exit
      for the CIA. Make first right turn into the park. Parking area C-1 will
      be the first parking area on the left.

      http://www.nps.gov/gwmp/turkey-run-park.htm