Parkfairfax Native Plant Sale is next month!

  • Scott Knudsen
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2008
      Hi Friends,

      The Parkfairfax Native Plant Sale is a month away. It will be
      Saturday, September 27, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. (This event will mark
      the 11th sale and 5-year anniversary from the first one! Now regularly
      hosting over 10 vendors, the Parkfairfax sale has grown into the
      largest native plant sale in the Washington D.C. area!)

      This fall sale will also present a special opportunity! Due to a quirk
      of scheduling (this one time only), the Virginia Native Plant Society
      Powtomack Chapter's native plant sale will be held the same day as the
      Parkfairfax native plant sale. Since the VNPS sale will be just 5
      miles from Parkfairfax, native plant gardeners who'll be driving in
      from any distance away will be able, this time, to visit both sales in
      one trip! (The VNPS sale will be held behind the Horticulture Center
      at Green Spring Gardens Park. Directions to Green Spring Gardens are
      at URL http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/gsgp/directions.htm .)

      As it has been for the past several years, the Parkfairfax sale will
      continue to be held on the last Saturdays in April and September. (The
      next sale after this will be April 25, 2009.)

      CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS! For each of these sales, about eight volunteers
      are needed to help the sale run smoothly. If you would like to help
      out for a few hours, either at the start of the sale (from 8:30 a.m. to
      11:30 a.m.) or at the end (from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.), please call
      me at 703-671-8416 or send an email to sknudsen@... .

      Regards,

      Scott Knudsen
      organizer, Parkfairfax Native Plant Sale
      website: http://home.earthlink.net/~sknudsen/
      703-671-8416
      sknudsen@...

      ---------------------
      PARKFAIRFAX NATIVE PLANT SALE
      September 27, 2008 -- 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

      Eleven vendors from Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia
      will be at the 11th Parkfairfax Native Plant Sale, which has been held
      twice a year since October 2003 and grown into the largest native plant
      sale in the Washington D.C. area. Several of the vendors carry native
      trees and shrubs as well as perennials, and several of the vendors
      specialize in some aspect of native plants, such as fruiting shrubs,
      wetland plants, carnivorous plants, or native azaleas. A few of these
      vendors do not come to our local area for any other plant sale.

      For a list of vendors, and links to their websites, please see the
      plant sale website at http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sknudsen/ and
      click on the "vendors" page.

      The sale is entirely organized and run by volunteers. No one makes
      money from it except the vendors. The purpose of these sales is to
      promote native plant gardening in our region because gardening with
      natives is better for our watershed, our woodlands, and our wildlife,
      especially birds. Bringing together a variety of growers makes it
      easier for local gardeners (especially those new to native plant
      gardening) to find quality plants and encourages greater demand for
      natives in the nursery industry.

      For those interested in news about these sales, the Parkfairfax Native
      Plant Sale has gained a definite following. From a modest beginning
      with just five vendors, this sale now regularly hosts over ten vendors
      from four states and regularly draws over 600 attendees. At the April
      2008 sale, ten vendors sold an estimated 2,400 plants to over 700
      people who came to the sale, making it our best sale yet! A few of the
      vendors even sold out! That beat the previous best sale, held a year
      before in April 2007, when eleven vendors sold an estimated 2,000
      plants to roughly 600 people who came out.

      Directions: Parkfairfax is located in the Washington DC metro area
      within the I-495 Beltway, in northwest Alexandria directly across I-395
      from Shirlington. From I-395, exit Shirlington/Quaker onto Quaker
      Lane. At the first light on Quaker, turn left onto Preston. Follow
      Preston to Valley and turn left on Valley. The sale will be just past
      Gunston on your right. Maps and directions are available on the sale
      website.

      Please pass this email along to your interested friends. This sale
      depends entirely on word-of-mouth support. Thank you for helping to
      spread the word!