(BSW) BSW Field Trips 2008 -- Suggestions Welcome

  • Kathy Bilton
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2007
      BSW Members:

      In one of her first acts as our new President, Carol Kelloff appointed our BSW Field Trip Committee for 2008:
      Pat Ford, Rod Simmons, and myself (Larry Morse) as chair

      We have several suggestions for 2008 already, but would welcome others, either places that you recommend or have heard about, or particular species or habitats that you would like to see.

      Some day-trip possibilities being considered:

      Bear Island (Potomac Gorge), early spring
      Susquehanna Gorge, Harford Co., Md., mid-spring (esp. for Trillium flexipes)
      Chapman's Forest, tidal Potomac (old-growth trees)
      Canoe trip on tidal Mattawoman (vic. Indian Head)
      Ptilimnium (Harperella) somewhere (probably Sideling Hill Creek in western Maryland)
      Easy-going Fall trip somewhere nearby for kids, old-timers, and everyone else (Ideas,anyone?)

      As a possible weekend excursion for 2008, Bill McAvoy (Del. Nat. Heritage Program) has offered to host us in "Inland Delmarva," the area between the Chesapeake Bay shore and the beaches, dunes, and marshes of the Atlantic Coast. The globally rare but locally frequent seaside alder (Alnus maritima) would be a highlight. Members: Sound interesting? Other ideas for a weekend trip, for 2008 or some future year?

      Also, note that Carol has clarified that the Dec. 22, 2007, Maryland Native Plant Society field trip to Chapman's is not being co-sponsored by BSW (contrary to wording in some earlier announcements); MNPS welcomes BSW members to this event.

      Larry

      Larry Morse
      Washington, D.C.
      larry.morse.dc@...