      From: Maryland Native Plant Society <info@...>
      Date: Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 9:59 PM
      Subject: MNPS Field Trip: Winter Tree and Shrub ID Along the Potomac, 11 Jan
      2014

      MNPS Field Trip: Winter Tree and Shrub ID Along the Potomac
      11 Jan 2014,  1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
      Carderock, MD

      MNPS Field Trip: Winter Tree And Shrub ID Along The Potomac River

      General Description: Carderock is a great area to see lots of common trees
      and shrubs in our area. We will use bark, twigs, buds, form, habitat, and
      other characteristics to identify woody plants in this scenic area. We'll be
      strolling along the C&O Canal towpath and in the woods. Parts of the trails
      will be rocky and possibly muddy with a stream crossing or two.

      Leader: Matt Cohen

      Contact: matt@...

      You may want to bring: Water, snacks, field guides, good hiking shoes,
      binoculars, note pad, camera

      Note: If it's rainy or snowy, walk will be canceled. I'll send out an email
      in the morning if I decide to cancel the walk. Email me at:
      matt@... to be notified.

      Registration: is recommended but not required.

      Directions:

      1. From the Beltway (I-495), take exit 41 (Coming from MD, the sign will
      say: Carderock, Great Falls, MD. Coming from VA, the sign will say Clara
      Barton Pkwy, Carderock, Glen Echo.)

      2. Take the Clara Barton Pkwy going west.

      3. Take the next right (sign says "Carderock, Carderock Div.
      NavSurfWarCen").

      4. Go up the ramp (you'll see an I-495 sign).

      5. At the top of the ramp, go left at the stop sign.

      6. Go across the bridge over the Clara Barton Pkwy and continue straight
      into the park (don't turn at the opposite end of the bridge).

      7. Follow the road as it winds and goes under the C&O canal bridge.

      8. The road ends at a T. Take a right.  Park in the second parking area on
      your left. (There are three total.)

      For a listing of all events: http://mdflora.org/events.html

      Best regards,

      Maryland Native Plant Society