Re: [AHRC - botlanta] new Leap motion tech

  • Dale Heatherington
    Message 1 of 5 , May 21, 2012
      I wonder if their sensing technology is related to the Lytro system in some way.

      On May 21, 2012, at 3:40 PM, fixstuff555 wrote:

      Check this new motion interface out from leap. It's nuts.

      http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57437404-76/leap-motion-3d-hands-free-motion-control-unbound/

      Imagine a bot controlled from this...

      --
      Dale Heatherington
      http://www.wa4dsy.net/robot/

    • James Belcher
      Message 2 of 5 , May 21, 2012
        I've seen that tech in this camera,

        But this Leap module looks pretty different.
      • Ben Bradley
        Message 3 of 5 , May 21, 2012
          This story on the same thing has a slightly longer video, but shows some different apps. The virtual hands displayed on-screen reflecting the actual hand movements at about 0:50 are quite impressive, like seeing the hands in a mirror with a very slight delay:

          http://mashable.com/2012/05/21/leap-motion/

          From the article:

          "he Leap is a simple motion controller that you can plug into any USB port on your computer. Once it’s plugged in and you’ve installed the Leap software, it turns the 8-cubic feet of air in front of it into “3D interaction space” — basically, it’ll track any and all motion within that space, letting you use your hands to do whatever you could do with a mouse.

          "How is that different from Microsoft Kinect? Precision — the company claims the Leap is 200 times more sensitive than current gesture-based tech, able to track movements down to a hundredth of a millimeter. Users will be able to fine-tune the sensitivity, Leap says."

          That 8 cubic feet is 2 feet on a side (the other article said only four cubic feet), which works fine for on-desk hand gestures, but the Kinect obviously (from seeing Youtube videos of it) operates over a much larger distance and volume. It's clearly aimed at replacing other hand-operated input devices as well as a mouse, but I'm still holding on to my IBM Model M Space Saver.

          On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM, fixstuff555 <jamesbel@...> wrote:
          Check this new motion interface out from leap.  It's nuts.

          http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57437404-76/leap-motion-3d-hands-free-motion-control-unbound/

          Imagine a bot controlled from this...

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             botlanta-digest@yahoogroups.com
             botlanta-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • rowell@mindspring.com
          Message 4 of 5 , May 22, 2012
            Very cool,
            and very nuts...

            I too wondered what the sensor was. Lytro didn't even occur to me.
            I bet your right Dale.

            kr