Re: [AHRC - botlanta] Learning ARM processors

  • James Belcher
    Message 1 of 9 , May 14, 2012
      I am also looking at the .Net gadgeteer hardware.  I'm really interested in the GHI hardware.

      On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 10:51 PM, Randy Farmer <randy.farmer@...> wrote:

      I'm a big fan of Netduino but it helps that I'm already a C#/.Net developer. It comes in Arduino mini and Arduino Uno form factor (with and without built-in Ethernet).

      GHI has some similar boards (FEZ Panda)

      Both GHI and Secret Labs (Netduino) have new boards (Gadgeteer and Netduino Go respectively) that have gotten away from the Arduino form factor and moved to multiple 10 wire ports, each with power, ground, and multiple buses. Netduino has a Base Module that hooks into this bus and gives you an Arduino shield pinout. You can actually hook up two of them, a nice way around pin conflicts on shields (if you're a shield person). I prefer to just have raw GPIO outs.

      --Randy

      On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 7:52 PM, tedrobotbuilder <tedrobotbuilder@...> wrote:

      For ARM you could go with:

      -Netduino
      -Maple from leaflabs
      -mbed

      We have people in the club using Netduino and mbed.

      Ted

    • R Radford
      Message 2 of 9 , May 14, 2012
        If looking for ARM hardware, don't forget the Beagle Board - this board has a lot of open source software ported to it and it is a very capable system.  We used it as an early prototype for a video capture and compression system and it still had enough horse power to handle image extraction/detection as well.

        There is also the new, lower cost and lower performance, Beagle Bone system.  I don't know anything about it other than it was discussed at the recent CarolinaCon with several favorable comments.

        http://beagleboard.org/

        On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 11:19 PM, James Belcher <jamesbel@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Jebadiah Moulton
        Message 3 of 9 , May 15, 2012
          I am using the SuperPRO from Coridium
          It is an NXP LPC1756 32bit ARM M3Cortex development board fro $49.  They have one for $35 also. 52 IO.  I think Dale and Clint are using similar ones to the ARMexpress boards at the bottom of the page and I think they were the NXP 1768 chip.  It comes with a free C or BASIC compiler and I use Notepad++ for writing the programs.  I am still at the beginning stages of learning it so I can't provide much help.  There are some nice Yahoo groups for it though(ARMexpress).

          I plan on eventually using the Arduino Pro which is the same form factor and can attach the Coridium board for off board processing
          http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10915

          Have you looked at the AVR stuff?  They have some ARMs.  I know you are an AVR guy.

          --
          Jebadiah Moulton