Re: [AHRC - botlanta] sparkfun robot battle

  • Randy Farmer
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26 11:14 AM
      We have a fully enclosed lexan arena for the 1 and 3lb bots. Those are quite destructive. It's the 12 and 30lb bots we don't have an arena for. That would be big $$$, even to cover the stage on one side. So, we have some tip speed limitation on spinning weapons. We fight those on a raised platform and it's essentially large scale RC sumo, but two 30lb bots can pack a lot of punch. Still plenty of flippers and claws (see Dale and Charles' bots).

      Last years robot battles highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEftg9E-2oI&list=UU6yMDbu_bZ2NKpCPuL0Tf3g
      Rumbles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlYdCaLKdOQ&list=UU6yMDbu_bZ2NKpCPuL0Tf3g

      Micro battles 3lb rumble from last year (16 robots) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTOKA55soHY

      The toothpick thing is an interesting idea, but not sure on how to make it work. How do you standardize the locations to make it fair? It seems like it would dictate the chassis design pretty heavily. I'd think it would lead to an abundance of weak spinning weapons aiming to break toothpicks and not much else.

      --Randy

      On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 1:42 PM, tedrobotbuilder <tedrobotbuilder@...> wrote:

      Looks like they came up with some interesting rules to keep their robot battle interesting but not too dangerous for the spectators:

      http://www.sparkfun.com/news/857

      Might be a good idea for Dragon-con since they don't use a shield for the spectators.

      Ted