EE Dept-Fall2005

  • qwertyasdf1234in
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2005
      Hi,

      I completed my BE (Electronics and Telecommunications) from the
      University of Pune in 2004 and have an admit from Boston Univeristy
      in the EE dept. for the coming Fall. I was wondering if anyone
      could answer a few questions that I had.

      1. I havent got any aid at the moment, but does BU offer TA / RA /
      other aid based on your performance in the first semseter?

      2. How is the faculty, in terms of interaction with students?

      3. Are on campus jobs available easily?

      4. What are living expenses like (approximate) for off campus
      housing?

      5. What are the chances of getting a summer placement in and around
      the univ? Does the university help you find summer placement?

      6. What is the current placement scene like?

      I have to make a decision soon about enrolling at either bostonu,
      drexel u, worcester polytechnic institute and michigan tech...any
      insights?

      Thanks,
      Ashlesha.
    • Sangram Ganguly
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2005
        Hi Ashlesha,
        below you will find your answers to the queries u put forth.

        1. I havent got any aid at the moment, but does BU offer TA / RA /
        other aid based on your performance in the first semseter?

        >> Yeah, there is high probability of getting an aid. based upon your interaction with the professor and your overall performance, you are bound to get an aid..as the department of electronics is big enough, there is no dearth of fundings and compared to the other univs that you got into, i would certainly feel that its prudent enough to get into BU, based upon my knowledge of the department. I myself work in the areas of remote sensing, image processing, AI and DSP.

        2. How is the faculty, in terms of interaction with students?

        >> There are lot of faculty expertise here at BU..and the faculty strength is quite good and all are from good places. Interaction is really good and amicable. its a big community and there are lots of projects running here at the department.( i can give you further insight if u tell your area of expertise)

        3. Are on campus jobs available easily?

        >> If you are not funded during the first semester, you can get on campus jobs easily. thts nt a problem. you can even try to get in touch with some faculty regarding working for them in their project work.

        4. What are living expenses like (approximate) for off campus
        housing?

        >> regarding living expenses, rent is around 400-500 dollars for an apartment. you would definitely accommodate with others. like we stay in a 4 bedroom apartment and we have to pay like 500 bucks per person. food and other ancilliary expenses are personal..but yeah its not much. regarding commuting to the univ, its very easy and bus and tram services are quite frequent. and the monthly pass doesnt even cost much. Also BU is located in a very good location with the access to the downtown in minutes.

        5. What are the chances of getting a summer placement in and around
        the univ? Does the university help you find summer placement?

        >> Summer placement is very easy to get..depends on your line of interest..there are loads of companies that recruit students for internship...Boston is a Tech hub of the east..people come from different univs here in boston for their internship. University even helps students find their intern.

        6. What is the current placement scene like?

        >> As i said before, there are lots of companies..so placement is pretty easy..you dont even have to worry abt it..you will get that provided you have the correct P.R skills..thts wht matters here :) u know ..
        Neways, if you have further doubts regarding your enrtry to BU, dont hesitate to buzz me...take care
        cheers
        ~ sangram

        Sangram Ganguly
        Department of Geography/ Centre for Remote Sensing
        675 Commonwealth Avenue
        3rd Floor, Room: CAS 332.
        Boston University Massachusetts - 02215, U.S.A.
        Phone (O): 617-353-8846 || Mobile:
        Alt email: 1) sganguly@...

      • qwertyasdf1234in
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2005
          Hi Sangram,

          Great to hear from you!! A few of the subjects that I am interested
          in Wireless Communications, Fiber Optic Comm, Photonics, Quantum
          Mechanics and its appns to Semiconductors..The reason i think BU is
          good, is bcos it offers a wide choice of subjects...
          but is aid available with profs who work in these depts? eg. i
          emailed Dr Irving Bigio who works with photonics and he said that
          his funding for the coming year had already been given out...

          when you say work with a prof in stead of an on campus job, thats
          not a TA is it? pl elucidate on that a little...did you mean grading
          jobs?

          So have people from the above fields found internships / jobs after
          graduation?
          Thank you soo much for writing....now is a crucial time...

          Regards,
          Ashlesha.

          --- In bostonuniversity@yahoogroups.com, Sangram Ganguly