RE: [bostongamers] Background material?

  • Thistle Kachunk
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2000
      i definitely do not mind if players write 20 pages of background, and am
      more than willing to indulge quite a lot for this degree of participation.

      -th

      >From: Shawna Adams <drealla@...>
      >To: "'bostongamers@egroups.com'" <bostongamers@egroups.com>
      >Subject: RE: [bostongamers] Background material?
      >Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 17:07:17 -0400 (EDT)
      >
      >Hmmm, well, I think my perspective is very similar to others I have
      >another little twist to add...
      >
      >I like the well developed world (even if a lot of it was a result of
      >modified "Fine TSR" products) that my friend David made. He allowed us to
      >create things that were considered "impossible" by the standard AD&D
      >rules. Heck, Qarylla (my little pc) has been my favorite character for
      >quite some time (and she has some stiff competition :>). But his world
      >built up slowly and a large portion of the game was based on one
      >character's background, and a decent portion of the world was based off
      >one or two other character backgrounds.
      >
      >My question is how much character background is too much character
      >background?
      >
      >When I wrote my character background for Qarylla (an elf), I wrote up 20
      >pages (my hand writing 19 pages, typed 20 pages) of background from just
      >before her conception to her 85 year. My background gave the GM some of
      >the material for the tortures being performed by a particular religious
      >group, and provided most of the basis for the elven realms.
      >
      >Since then, I have been much more sparse on my character backgrounds, and
      >I'm still trying to find a happy medium. I have characters who have no
      >real written background to speak of and others with a few pages.
      >
      >Do you find depth of character background to be something you require as a
      >player to get into your character, or maybe as something you feel your
      >GM/DM/ST needs to properly respond to your character's needs?
      >
      >(I'm in three/four groups at the moment, and this is becoming kind of a
      >funky little subject)
      >
      >Any ideas?
      >
      >Sankyuu,
      >
      >Shawna Lea
      >arigatou gozaimasu, minasan!

    • Vivian Abraham
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2000
        And a second caveat that you don't get mad at the GM if he/she doesn't use all of your 20 pages of background in game!

        Vivian

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2000
          On 31 May 00, at 21:01, bostongamers@egroups.com wrote:
          > Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 11:35:31 -0400
          > From: "Hoberman, David" <dhoberman@...>
          > Subject: RE: Background material?
          >

          > I'm interested in everyone's opinions on this, be you player or storyguide,
          > beginner or die-hard.
          >
          > What do you think constitutes "too much" background info, and what is too
          > little?

          From a GMing point of view, I hold a firm belief that the GM MUST
          be familiar with the mechanics and the setting and have been
          willing to put in the time to read it, understand it, and in many
          cases memorize large chunks of the general information. I don't do
          "pick up" games where the GM has just bought a new setting
          book, skimmed it and decided to run it, as such are always either
          disasters or genericized badly and fail to get the real flavor of the
          setting.

          Part of my firm belief in this comes from some of my early (1980s)
          roleplaying experiences, when I played in an Empire of The Petal
          Throne (Tekumel) game, one of the most detailed settings out there
          under a GM who did indeed "do his homework" on the setting; and
          from my experience with a GM who picked up a bunch of Harn
          books and decided to run Harn using AD&D 1st edition mechanics,
          and who knew nothing about the setting and tried to mix and match
          AD&D with the local setting and did so badly (especially in regards
          to magic and religions).

          As a GM I also try to get folks to read as much content and setting
          info as they can digest and to have read at least the basic rules.
          Since I use my own mechanics mostly, and my own settings, I
          usually hand such to players or get them to download such from
          my website a week or two ahead of time so that they have time to
          get good character ideas to build from.

          Now, from a players point of view I expect to need to know the
          basic mechanics to use in play, and to have read enough of the
          setting to be a functional character within it. (At least the basic
          setting book). I wouldn't expect in a Vampie game to have had to
          read every single supplement book, but the basic book, sure that
          would be reasonable.

          Joe

          Joe Teller Chief Librarian
          "Isn't It Time To Put Some Fantasy In Your Life?"
          http://www.fantasylibrary.com
        • Jess Pease
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1, 2000
            >If the GM claims he's rolled me a crit botch, how do I know he didn't >do
            >it on purpose?

            See, if I didn't trust a gm to not fudge on dice, or at least, not unless it
            was extremely dramatically appropriate, then I wouldn't be playing with him
            or her in the first place.

            >my life on the line, my skills in question, my roll--pure & simple

            Yes, but I don't equate skills with dice rolls--your character's skill in
            something depends on your character concept and background and to some
            extent the scores on your character sheet. The roll is just a random
            element that we throw in because we want a little excitement and unknown to
            enter into the particular action, whatever it is. So to me it doesn't
            matter who rolls, it has nothing to do with my control over my character, it
            has to do with the way the forces of fate play into my character's life.
            This is also why I prefer fewer mechanics, and dice rolls only at important
            and appropriate moments.

            Love,
            Jess

            -------------
            "Dear Doktor,
            Is it a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a
            good fortune must be in want of a wife?"

            "It certainly is. And we want yours for another week or so. Kindly keep away
            from our tour bus."

            From the www.thesistersofmercy.com Dear Doktor column,
            by Andrew Eldritch
          • Shawna Adams
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 1, 2000
              On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Vivian Abraham wrote:

              > And a second caveat that you don't get mad at the GM if he/she doesn't use all of your 20 pages of background in game!
              >
              > Vivian

              *laugh*

              I would never expect all of my character background to get used. It's
              there for my benefit more than the GMs to begin with. I was just trying
              to set some standards for myself. My last three WOD characters have
              fairly minimalistic backgrounds to begin with, but most of my Gurps and
              AD&D characters have much more extensive backgrounds.

              :>

              Shawna Lea
              (Hey, I like my mechanics. I just wish Mage were a little easier to
              understand sometimes!)
            • Hoberman, David
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 1, 2000
                Shawna wrote:
                > I would never expect all of my character background to get used. It's
                > there for my benefit more than the GMs to begin with. I was
                > just trying
                > to set some standards for myself. My last three WOD characters have
                > fairly minimalistic backgrounds to begin with, but most of my
                > Gurps and
                > AD&D characters have much more extensive backgrounds.

                That's a good point - I also find that having background helps *me* get into
                character, regardless of how much detail the GM uses (although I do get a
                bit miffed if *none* of it gets used.)

                david