Re: [BG] Re: Clean-up and Introspection time!

  • Matthew Ender
    Message 1 of 14 , May 29, 2013
      My thoughts: I like email. I don't care much about where the email comes
      from, having a place for files is useful, but it's all about the email for
      me. If I need to go to a special place, I'm probably not going to do it,
      because I don't have spare attention to remember to go to sites. I dislike
      FB specifically and wish to avoid associating with it.

      -- Matt

    • Mike Dlott
      Message 2 of 14 , May 29, 2013
        I agree love email hate fb

        Sent from my iPhone

        On May 29, 2013, at 11:39 AM, Matthew Ender <mattender@...> wrote:

        > My thoughts: I like email. I don't care much about where the email comes
        > from, having a place for files is useful, but it's all about the email for
        > me. If I need to go to a special place, I'm probably not going to do it,
        > because I don't have spare attention to remember to go to sites. I dislike
        > FB specifically and wish to avoid associating with it.
        >
        > -- Matt

      • Kathryn Smith
        Message 3 of 14 , May 29, 2013
          I agree, email is vastly preferable to a site I would have to visit, and
          probably wouldn't get around to checking. But OTOH, we are probably a
          self-selecting group in terms of that preference, since we're already here
          reading the email.

          What would people think about the idea of having the group have a secondary
          presence in multiple social media areas? We could put up something findable
          on places like FB and Google plus that alerts people to the fact that we
          exist, and directs them to the email list?

          I wonder too if we could get an occasional note about our existence on
          specific venues that have web presence - links on people's sites where they
          list local resources, etc.

          Kathy

          On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Mike Dlott <poetguy21@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I agree love email hate fb
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone
          >

          > On May 29, 2013, at 11:39 AM, Matthew Ender <mattender@...> wrote:
          >
          > > My thoughts: I like email. I don't care much about where the email comes
          > > from, having a place for files is useful, but it's all about the email
          > for
          > > me. If I need to go to a special place, I'm probably not going to do it,
          > > because I don't have spare attention to remember to go to sites. I
          > dislike
          > > FB specifically and wish to avoid associating with it.
          > >
          > > -- Matt

        • DCA
          Message 4 of 14 , May 29, 2013
            FB as a secondary contact site that links to BG page sounds great. An
            automated bi-monthly email from BG wouldn't be intrusive either as a
            "bump" to remind people of get-togethers and open games, events.
            Its Boston. We're busy, distracted and focused in equal measure, and
            curious. A small token of automation that keeps the gristmill turning is
            a good thing.
            Bon, Dana

            On 5/29/2013 11:49 AM, Kathryn Smith wrote:
            > I agree, email is vastly preferable to a site I would have to visit, and
            > probably wouldn't get around to checking. But OTOH, we are probably a
            > self-selecting group in terms of that preference, since we're already here
            > reading the email.
            >
            > What would people think about the idea of having the group have a secondary
            > presence in multiple social media areas? We could put up something findable
            > on places like FB and Google plus that alerts people to the fact that we
            > exist, and directs them to the email list?
            >
            > I wonder too if we could get an occasional note about our existence on
            > specific venues that have web presence - links on people's sites where they
            > list local resources, etc.
            >
            > Kathy
            >

            > On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Mike Dlott <poetguy21@...> wrote:
            >
            >> **
            >>

            >> I agree love email hate fb
            >>
            >> Sent from my iPhone
            >>

            >> On May 29, 2013, at 11:39 AM, Matthew Ender <mattender@...> wrote:
            >>
            >>> My thoughts: I like email. I don't care much about where the email comes
            >>> from, having a place for files is useful, but it's all about the email
            >> for
            >>> me. If I need to go to a special place, I'm probably not going to do it,
            >>> because I don't have spare attention to remember to go to sites. I
            >> dislike
            >>> FB specifically and wish to avoid associating with it.
            >>>
            >>> -- Matt

          • charlieebrown2001
            Message 5 of 14 , May 29, 2013
              No THAT is a sound idea. Could even go with both...

              wrote:

              > **
              >

              > I agree love email hate fb
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone
              >

              > On May 29, 2013, at 11:39 AM, Matthew Ender <mattender@...>
              wrote:

              > > My thoughts: I like email. I don't care much about where the email
              comes
              > > from, having a place for files is useful, but it's all about the
              email
              > for
              > > me. If I need to go to a special place, I'm probably not going to
              do it,
              > > because I don't have spare attention to remember to go to sites. I
              > dislike
              > > FB specifically and wish to avoid associating with it.
              > >
              > > -- Matt

            • charlieebrown2001
              Message 6 of 14 , May 29, 2013
                Oh, there IS a local Meetup group too - connecting to that might be a
                good thing.

                FB as a secondary contact site that links to BG page sounds great. An
                automated bi-monthly email from BG wouldn't be intrusive either as a
                "bump" to remind people of get-togethers and open games, events.
                Its Boston. We're busy, distracted and focused in equal measure, and
                curious. A small token of automation that keeps the gristmill turning
                is
                a good thing.
                Bon, Dana

                On 5/29/2013 11:49 AM, Kathryn Smith wrote:
                > I agree, email is vastly preferable to a site I would have to visit,
                and
                > probably wouldn't get around to checking. But OTOH, we are probably a
                > self-selecting group in terms of that preference, since we're already
                here
                > reading the email.
                >
                > What would people think about the idea of having the group have a
                secondary
                > presence in multiple social media areas? We could put up something
                findable
                > on places like FB and Google plus that alerts people to the fact that
                we
                > exist, and directs them to the email list?
                >
                > I wonder too if we could get an occasional note about our existence on
                > specific venues that have web presence - links on people's sites
                where they
                > list local resources, etc.
                >
                > Kathy
                >

                > On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Mike Dlott <poetguy21@...>
                wrote:

                >> **
                >>

                >> I agree love email hate fb
                >>
                >> Sent from my iPhone
                >>

                >> On May 29, 2013, at 11:39 AM, Matthew Ender <mattender@...>
                wrote:

                >>> My thoughts: I like email. I don't care much about where the email
                comes
                >>> from, having a place for files is useful, but it's all about the
                email
                >> for
                >>> me. If I need to go to a special place, I'm probably not going to
                do it,
                >>> because I don't have spare attention to remember to go to sites. I
                >> dislike
                >>> FB specifically and wish to avoid associating with it.
                >>>
                >>> -- Matt

              • Stephan
                Message 7 of 14 , May 29, 2013
                  Hey All,

                  Data Points:

                  I'm a new-ish person. In that I've been here for a little bit, but haven't really posted to the list. I found this group through livejournal. I found the gamers I've been gaming with (though were are currently on hiatus) through rpol...by chance.

                  The PicnicCon seemed exciting...but I'm deathly allergic to cats, so I've put that out of my mind for the second year in a row.

                  I am wanting to find people who play the Game of Thrones LCG...so I thought I might post here, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

                  When my book manuscript is finally done and I can finally get back to gaming like a serious person, I may post here looking for players...but...I'd probably ask the people I already know first.

                  Side note: I've been gaming since 1984, but I've never been to an RPG Con, so that isn't how I tend to find gamers. Usually I find them through friends of friends or game store advertisements. I think if the group were more active and had more members that would be good and generate a sense of excitement.

                  That said, it might also be cool to have some sort of calendar that listed all the games that are being played and wether or not they are looking for new players. Even if they aren't looking for new players, having a list showing all the activity going on might also excite people. Another thing that might be great? The ability to put up profiles. Something like: Stephan, GM/Player. Interested in GMing X,Y,Z. Interested in playing X,Y,Z. Something like Steve Jackson Games's Gamer Finder.

                  I think a standing database of gamers and games would go a long way to help connecting people. Though, that might be hard to do. Though dating groups on yahoo manage to do it.

                  Stephan
                • ToysNThings Danvers
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 29, 2013
                    >What would people think about the idea of having the group have a
                    secondary
                    presence in multiple social media areas? We could put up something
                    findable
                    on places like FB and Google plus that alerts people to the fact that we
                    exist, and directs them to the email list?

                    Problem is by their nature social media sites require alot of care and feeding,

                    which could result in our admins having to spend more time taking care of them. At TnT we have FB pages not only for the store but individual gaming interests (MtG, Yugioh, PF/PFS, 4.0, WM) and we have found that any FB page or Google+ page that does not have new content added quickly fades off peoples news feeds. In the worst case the page has to be looked for under the tiny groups tab. So if anyone does want to create a page they should be prepared to support it.

                    Evan J.

                    Toys N Things
                    66 Maple St
                    Danvers, MA 01923
                    Phone: [978] 777-1879
                    Email: ToysNThingsDanvers@...
                    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ToysNThingsDanvers
                    Web: http://tntgamingdanvers.com/

                    ________________________________

                    wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > I agree love email hate fb
                    >
                    > Sent from my iPhone
                    >

                    > On May 29, 2013, at 11:39 AM, Matthew Ender <mattender@...>
                    wrote:

                    > > My thoughts: I like email. I don't care much about where the email
                    comes
                    > > from, having a place for files is useful, but it's all about the
                    email
                    > for
                    > > me. If I need to go to a special place, I'm probably not going to
                    do it,
                    > > because I don't have spare attention to remember to go to sites. I
                    > dislike
                    > > FB specifically and wish to avoid associating with it.
                    > >
                    > > -- Matt

                  • Joseph Teller
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 29, 2013
                      Evan is right, things do scroll rapidly on FB and Google+ so it does take
                      someone at least daily working to keep the social aspect flowing and
                      visible in some way or you slip off into invisibility in many cases. This
                      means a time-sink for whoever is maintaining and moderating.

                      Theres also a lot more spam-factor on FB and Google+ to be dealt with.

                      On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 3:58 PM, ToysNThings Danvers <
                      toysnthingsdanvers@...> wrote:

                      > >What would people think about the idea of having the group have a
                      > secondary
                      > presence in multiple social media areas? We could put up something
                      > findable
                      > on places like FB and Google plus that alerts people to the fact that we
                      > exist, and directs them to the email list?
                      >
                      > Problem is by their nature social media sites require alot of care and
                      > feeding,
                      >
                      > which could result in our admins having to spend more time taking care of
                      > them. At TnT we have FB pages not only for the store but individual gaming
                      > interests (MtG, Yugioh, PF/PFS, 4.0, WM) and we have found that any FB page
                      > or Google+ page that does not have new content added quickly fades off
                      > peoples news feeds. In the worst case the page has to be looked for under
                      > the tiny groups tab. So if anyone does want to create a page they should be
                      > prepared to support it.
                      >
                      > Evan J.
                      >

                      > Toys N Things
                      > 66 Maple St