Re: [BG] Re: Clean-up and Introspection time!

  • Joseph Teller
    Message 1 of 14 , May 29 8:36 AM
      For what groups you are involved in that may be true, for the ones I've
      been involved in it was the opposite. I left facebook more than a year ago
      because there was nothing happening in regards to gamer interconnection
      there.

      I've got hundreds of folks regularly posting and talking about (in depth
      rather than a sentence or two) conversations about games, game design,
      running games online through Google Chat etc. to the point where I've had
      to trim back my reading... the only problem is that Google+ is too wide
      reaching, and doesn't seem to work well for small local areas (something
      that the Boston Gamers List is all about). I can find thousands of gamers
      world wide, but less than 2 dozen on Google plus in the Boston Area.

      I wonder if its the regional problem popping up again... sometimes this
      area goes dead when it comes to gaming when things are booming elsewhere.
      We've had bouts of that, especially with the limited number of gaming
      stores and locations for people to game. Less stores, smaller stores, less
      gaming areas and less connectedness between the stores and the colleges
      tends to happen here and that affects how many people are into gaming in
      many ways.

      We also lack any big gamer-only conventions locally (as inside 128). The
      best we get are a few rooms piggy backed onto some other convention or a
      single one day event in a VFW or hotel conference room that can only be
      reached by car.

    • Matthew Ender
      Message 2 of 14 , May 29 8:39 AM
        My thoughts: I like email. I don't care much about where the email comes
        from, having a place for files is useful, but it's all about the email for
        me. If I need to go to a special place, I'm probably not going to do it,
        because I don't have spare attention to remember to go to sites. I dislike
        FB specifically and wish to avoid associating with it.

        -- Matt

      • Mike Dlott
        Message 3 of 14 , May 29 8:40 AM
          I agree love email hate fb

          Sent from my iPhone

          On May 29, 2013, at 11:39 AM, Matthew Ender <mattender@...> wrote:

          > My thoughts: I like email. I don't care much about where the email comes
          > from, having a place for files is useful, but it's all about the email for
          > me. If I need to go to a special place, I'm probably not going to do it,
          > because I don't have spare attention to remember to go to sites. I dislike
          > FB specifically and wish to avoid associating with it.
          >
          > -- Matt

        • Kathryn Smith
          Message 4 of 14 , May 29 8:49 AM
            I agree, email is vastly preferable to a site I would have to visit, and
            probably wouldn't get around to checking. But OTOH, we are probably a
            self-selecting group in terms of that preference, since we're already here
            reading the email.

            What would people think about the idea of having the group have a secondary
            presence in multiple social media areas? We could put up something findable
            on places like FB and Google plus that alerts people to the fact that we
            exist, and directs them to the email list?

            I wonder too if we could get an occasional note about our existence on
            specific venues that have web presence - links on people's sites where they
            list local resources, etc.

            Kathy

            On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Mike Dlott <poetguy21@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > I agree love email hate fb
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >

            > On May 29, 2013, at 11:39 AM, Matthew Ender <mattender@...> wrote:
            >
            > > My thoughts: I like email. I don't care much about where the email comes
            > > from, having a place for files is useful, but it's all about the email
            > for
            > > me. If I need to go to a special place, I'm probably not going to do it,
            > > because I don't have spare attention to remember to go to sites. I
            > dislike
            > > FB specifically and wish to avoid associating with it.
            > >
            > > -- Matt

          • DCA
            Message 5 of 14 , May 29 10:06 AM
              FB as a secondary contact site that links to BG page sounds great. An
              automated bi-monthly email from BG wouldn't be intrusive either as a
              "bump" to remind people of get-togethers and open games, events.
              Its Boston. We're busy, distracted and focused in equal measure, and
              curious. A small token of automation that keeps the gristmill turning is
              a good thing.
              Bon, Dana

              On 5/29/2013 11:49 AM, Kathryn Smith wrote:
              > I agree, email is vastly preferable to a site I would have to visit, and
              > probably wouldn't get around to checking. But OTOH, we are probably a
              > self-selecting group in terms of that preference, since we're already here
              > reading the email.
              >
              > What would people think about the idea of having the group have a secondary
              > presence in multiple social media areas? We could put up something findable
              > on places like FB and Google plus that alerts people to the fact that we
              > exist, and directs them to the email list?
              >
              > I wonder too if we could get an occasional note about our existence on
              > specific venues that have web presence - links on people's sites where they
              > list local resources, etc.
              >
              > Kathy
              >

              > On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Mike Dlott <poetguy21@...> wrote:
              >
              >> **
              >>

              >> I agree love email hate fb
              >>
              >> Sent from my iPhone
              >>

              >> On May 29, 2013, at 11:39 AM, Matthew Ender <mattender@...> wrote:
              >>
              >>> My thoughts: I like email. I don't care much about where the email comes
              >>> from, having a place for files is useful, but it's all about the email
              >> for
              >>> me. If I need to go to a special place, I'm probably not going to do it,
              >>> because I don't have spare attention to remember to go to sites. I
              >> dislike
              >>> FB specifically and wish to avoid associating with it.
              >>>
              >>> -- Matt

            • charlieebrown2001
              Message 6 of 14 , May 29 11:11 AM
                No THAT is a sound idea. Could even go with both...

                wrote:

                > **
                >

                > I agree love email hate fb
                >
                > Sent from my iPhone
                >

                > On May 29, 2013, at 11:39 AM, Matthew Ender <mattender@...>
                wrote:

                > > My thoughts: I like email. I don't care much about where the email
                comes
                > > from, having a place for files is useful, but it's all about the
                email
                > for
                > > me. If I need to go to a special place, I'm probably not going to
                do it,
                > > because I don't have spare attention to remember to go to sites. I
                > dislike
                > > FB specifically and wish to avoid associating with it.
                > >
                > > -- Matt

              • charlieebrown2001
                Message 7 of 14 , May 29 11:12 AM
                  Oh, there IS a local Meetup group too - connecting to that might be a
                  good thing.

                  FB as a secondary contact site that links to BG page sounds great. An
                  automated bi-monthly email from BG wouldn't be intrusive either as a
                  "bump" to remind people of get-togethers and open games, events.
                  Its Boston. We're busy, distracted and focused in equal measure, and
                  curious. A small token of automation that keeps the gristmill turning
                  is
                  a good thing.
                  Bon, Dana

                  On 5/29/2013 11:49 AM, Kathryn Smith wrote:
                  > I agree, email is vastly preferable to a site I would have to visit,
                  and
                  > probably wouldn't get around to checking. But OTOH, we are probably a
                  > self-selecting group in terms of that preference, since we're already
                  here
                  > reading the email.
                  >
                  > What would people think about the idea of having the group have a
                  secondary
                  > presence in multiple social media areas? We could put up something
                  findable
                  > on places like FB and Google plus that alerts people to the fact that
                  we
                  > exist, and directs them to the email list?
                  >
                  > I wonder too if we could get an occasional note about our existence on
                  > specific venues that have web presence - links on people's sites
                  where they
                  > list local resources, etc.
                  >
                  > Kathy
                  >

                  > On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Mike Dlott <poetguy21@...>
                  wrote:

                  >> **
                  >>

                  >> I agree love email hate fb
                  >>
                  >> Sent from my iPhone
                  >>

                  >> On May 29, 2013, at 11:39 AM, Matthew Ender <mattender@...>
                  wrote:

                  >>> My thoughts: I like email. I don't care much about where the email
                  comes
                  >>> from, having a place for files is useful, but it's all about the
                  email
                  >> for
                  >>> me. If I need to go to a special place, I'm probably not going to
                  do it,
                  >>> because I don't have spare attention to remember to go to sites. I
                  >> dislike
                  >>> FB specifically and wish to avoid associating with it.
                  >>>
                  >>> -- Matt

                • Stephan
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 29 12:07 PM
                    Hey All,

                    Data Points:

                    I'm a new-ish person. In that I've been here for a little bit, but haven't really posted to the list. I found this group through livejournal. I found the gamers I've been gaming with (though were are currently on hiatus) through rpol...by chance.

                    The PicnicCon seemed exciting...but I'm deathly allergic to cats, so I've put that out of my mind for the second year in a row.

                    I am wanting to find people who play the Game of Thrones LCG...so I thought I might post here, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

                    When my book manuscript is finally done and I can finally get back to gaming like a serious person, I may post here looking for players...but...I'd probably ask the people I already know first.

                    Side note: I've been gaming since 1984, but I've never been to an RPG Con, so that isn't how I tend to find gamers. Usually I find them through friends of friends or game store advertisements. I think if the group were more active and had more members that would be good and generate a sense of excitement.

                    That said, it might also be cool to have some sort of calendar that listed all the games that are being played and wether or not they are looking for new players. Even if they aren't looking for new players, having a list showing all the activity going on might also excite people. Another thing that might be great? The ability to put up profiles. Something like: Stephan, GM/Player. Interested in GMing X,Y,Z. Interested in playing X,Y,Z. Something like Steve Jackson Games's Gamer Finder.

                    I think a standing database of gamers and games would go a long way to help connecting people. Though, that might be hard to do. Though dating groups on yahoo manage to do it.

                    Stephan
                  • ToysNThings Danvers
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 29 12:58 PM
                      >What would people think about the idea of having the group have a
                      secondary
                      presence in multiple social media areas? We could put up something
                      findable
                      on places like FB and Google plus that alerts people to the fact that we
                      exist, and directs them to the email list?

                      Problem is by their nature social media sites require alot of care and feeding,

                      which could result in our admins having to spend more time taking care of them. At TnT we have FB pages not only for the store but individual gaming interests (MtG, Yugioh, PF/PFS, 4.0, WM) and we have found that any FB page or Google+ page that does not have new content added quickly fades off peoples news feeds. In the worst case the page has to be looked for under the tiny groups tab. So if anyone does want to create a page they should be prepared to support it.

                      Evan J.

                      Toys N Things
                      66 Maple St
                      Danvers, MA 01923
                      Phone: [978] 777-1879
                      Email: ToysNThingsDanvers@...
                      Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ToysNThingsDanvers
                      Web: http://tntgamingdanvers.com/

                      ________________________________

                      wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > I agree love email hate fb
                      >
                      > Sent from my iPhone
                      >

                      > On May 29, 2013, at 11:39 AM, Matthew Ender <mattender@...>
                      wrote:

                      > > My thoughts: I like email. I don't care much about where the email
                      comes
                      > > from, having a place for files is useful, but it's all about the
                      email
                      > for
                      > > me. If I need to go to a special place, I'm probably not going to
                      do it,
                      > > because I don't have spare attention to remember to go to sites. I
                      > dislike
                      > > FB specifically and wish to avoid associating with it.
                      > >
                      > > -- Matt

                    • Joseph Teller
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 29 7:30 PM
                        Evan is right, things do scroll rapidly on FB and Google+ so it does take
                        someone at least daily working to keep the social aspect flowing and
                        visible in some way or you slip off into invisibility in many cases. This
                        means a time-sink for whoever is maintaining and moderating.

                        Theres also a lot more spam-factor on FB and Google+ to be dealt with.