Re: [BG] Seeking advice - re: an RPG Collection

  • Christopher Amherst
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2010
      On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Allen Harris <darthnefas@...> wrote:
      > If there is one thing I regretted was selling a complete collection of Mind's Eye Theater books including Oblivion and the Marvel Super Heroes game with all the character encyclopideas(sp).

      If I got to the point where I was selling my copy of Oblivion, I
      (personally) wouldn't have any regrets.

      It would mean that I finally decided to abandon the LARP art-form /
      community completely and have plans that I could better use the funds
      for.

      C.
    • Christopher Amherst
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2010
        That prompts two questions on my part:

        1) It still leaves the question: Should I complete either collection
        and just hold on to them?

        2) A minor side-tangent: Out of curiosity, what RPG lines are rare and
        desirable?

        On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Bruce Carson <bcarson@...> wrote:
        > I have to disagree with Michael here.  It almost never makes sense to
        > complete a collection just to sell it.  Here's why:
        >
        > 1) A normal player is going to want to kick-start their campaign, so really
        > only needs the core books.
        > 2) A collector is already going to have all the common stuff and be looking
        > for the rarer items.  They will pay top-dollar for just those rarer items.
        > 3) You end up spending money on the speculation that you'll re-coup that
        > money (and time spent) when you sell the collection.
        >
        > Given these, it is almost always beneficial to sell the items individually.
        > Or in small groups if the items are really common or not that valuable (to
        > save everybody money on shipping, packing, etc.)
        >
        > The only time that I've seen it worthwhile to complete a collection is when
        > all items in the collection are rare and desirable.  Clearly not the case
        > with the two potential collections you've mentioned.
        >
        > Bruce (organizer of the Gen Con Games Auction)

      • David Hoberman
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2010
          I think the answers to both your questions would be searching on ebay for
          the items you're considering selling. See if any are sold as collections, or
          individual items and see how that affects the price. That will tell you
          whether it's worth completing the collection.

          I suspect that unless it's something really special (Deities & Demigods with
          Cthulhu mythos and Meliborne), it won't be - not many old RPGs are worth
          much these days.

          David

          On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Christopher Amherst <
          LARP.Chronicles@...> wrote:

          > That prompts two questions on my part:
          >
          > 1) It still leaves the question: Should I complete either collection
          > and just hold on to them?
          >
          > 2) A minor side-tangent: Out of curiosity, what RPG lines are rare and
          > desirable?
          >
          > On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Bruce Carson <bcarson@...<bcarson%40asgoth.com>>
          > wrote:
          > > I have to disagree with Michael here. It almost never makes sense to
          > > complete a collection just to sell it. Here's why:
          > >
          > > 1) A normal player is going to want to kick-start their campaign, so
          > really
          > > only needs the core books.
          > > 2) A collector is already going to have all the common stuff and be
          > looking
          > > for the rarer items. They will pay top-dollar for just those rarer
          > items.
          > > 3) You end up spending money on the speculation that you'll re-coup that
          > > money (and time spent) when you sell the collection.
          > >
          > > Given these, it is almost always beneficial to sell the items
          > individually.
          > > Or in small groups if the items are really common or not that valuable
          > > save everybody money on shipping, packing, etc.)
          > >
          > > The only time that I've seen it worthwhile to complete a collection is
          > when
          > > all items in the collection are rare and desirable. Clearly not the case
          > > with the two potential collections you've mentioned.
          > >
          > > Bruce (organizer of the Gen Con Games Auction)

        • Bruce Carson
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2010
            As an alternative to e-bay, you can download a list of all the items sold at
            the Gen Con Games auction here:
            http://www.livegameauctions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id
            =23&Itemid=13

            for the rare and desirable answer:
            The original D&D Books & Supplements come immediately to mind.
            Also the RPGA Gen Con/Origins adventures.

            Bruce

            LARP.Chronicles@...> wrote:

            > That prompts two questions on my part:
            >
            > 1) It still leaves the question: Should I complete either collection
            > and just hold on to them?
            >
            > 2) A minor side-tangent: Out of curiosity, what RPG lines are rare and
            > desirable?
            >
            > On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Bruce Carson
            <bcarson@...<bcarson%40asgoth.com>>
            > wrote:
            > > I have to disagree with Michael here. It almost never makes sense to
            > > complete a collection just to sell it. Here's why:
            > >
            > > 1) A normal player is going to want to kick-start their campaign, so
            > really
            > > only needs the core books.
            > > 2) A collector is already going to have all the common stuff and be
            > looking
            > > for the rarer items. They will pay top-dollar for just those rarer
            > items.
            > > 3) You end up spending money on the speculation that you'll re-coup that
            > > money (and time spent) when you sell the collection.
            > >
            > > Given these, it is almost always beneficial to sell the items
            > individually.
            > > Or in small groups if the items are really common or not that valuable
            > > save everybody money on shipping, packing, etc.)
            > >
            > > The only time that I've seen it worthwhile to complete a collection is
            > when
            > > all items in the collection are rare and desirable. Clearly not the
            case
            > > with the two potential collections you've mentioned.
            > >
            > > Bruce (organizer of the Gen Con Games Auction)

            ups.com>
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Michael Sean Caveney
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1, 2010
              It can be a lot less lucrative, though. The entire online world is your
              audience for Ebay. For GenCon, it's no more than 200 people in a room. I've
              gotten stuff like the DC Heroes RPG for a lot less at GenCon than I have
              paid online. It can be good if you have really rare, or extensive and
              complete sets of stuff.

            • Christopher Amherst
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 10, 2010
                My apologies for the belated follow-up (what I get for dealing with a cold)

                Michael Sean Caveney <dylanesque27@...> wrote:
                > It can be a lot less lucrative, though. The entire online world is your
                > audience for Ebay. For GenCon, it's no more than 200 people in a room. I've
                > gotten stuff like the DC Heroes RPG for a lot less at GenCon than I have
                > paid online. It can be good if you have really rare, or extensive and
                > complete sets of stuff.

                Hmmm, I'm wondering (between your comments and Bruce's) whether I'd be
                better off
                working with a seller who might have a better handle about what the
                best plan for clearing the collection would be.

                C.