PicniCon XII: Monkeys - 4th of July Weekend (Fri, July 2nd - Sun July 4th)

  • anu3bis
    Message 1 of 3 , May 17, 2010
      You were all wondering what happened after Star Trek, and you guessed
      it...monkeys. After all, who doesn't love monkeys? The title holds
      some special significance to your beloved dictator and her consort, as
      12 Monkeys was the movie on their first date (look it up in IMDB, kids.
      Yep, we're old).

      For our new members, Picnicon is Bostongamers annual gathering, a
      weekend of good games, good friends, and good food!

      WHERE:
      In the home of BostonGamers' benevolent Dictator, Vivian Abraham. We are
      in Somerville, the Gaming Nexus, reasonably close to the T. The address
      is 11 Fenwick Street, #2, easily accessible by bus from Sullivan
      Station and Davis Square, a few blocks walk from the bus to/from
      Lechmere. We have some parking available as well. Let us know if you are
      coming via car in advance, and we can arrange for Somerville party
      permits.

      WHEN:
      Friday, July 2th at 6:00 pm -> Sunday, July 4th at whenever pm
      Early arrivals will be put to hard labor and are greatly appreciated.
      Check in with me if you want to be on staff.

      WHAT TO BRING:
      There's both crash space and facilities to cook and store food, so bring
      sleeping bags if you're crashing and either food to cook or money to
      order out or chip in for groceries. Viv and I will be cooking and
      others are welcome to join us. I (Daniel) will provide many, many
      buffalo wings Friday evening, as is traditional, and Tyler, our
      Brigadier of Breakfast has volunteered to handle a morning meal. A note
      on alcohol: you are welcome to bring it, we usually have a big game of
      Baron Munchausen one night which involves lots of drinking, but we
      reserve the right to collect keys and/or cut folks off if necessary.

      WHAT TO EXPECT:
      Everyone should come prepared to play and/or run a game, bring board
      games, or do something to make it
      fun for everyone - unlike many gaming conventions, this is a
      group-participation event, so don't hesitate to join in and plan some
      events! They'll be lots of willing people to help!

      On the slate this year:

      * The traditional (and infamous) late-night Baron Munchausen game (tall
      tales in the grand manner),
      * Circumstances willing, a grand game of Encore, the team singing and
      lyrics game.
      * I may actually be running something serious for a change!
      * [insert your game here]

      GAME MASTERS!
      If you want to run a scheduled game at PicniCon, please send me an email
      with:
      * The name of the game
      * The number of players you want
      * The system
      * If you're using pre-generated characters or want people to bring them
      * How long you expect the game to run

      We'll still have room for pickup games, but we want to put some games on
      the map first.

      LET US KNOW!

      Allergies: There are three cats, one nice (Ivanova), one nippy (Miles),
      one cuddly (Loki). No, you cannot take Loki home. Please notify me of
      any food allergies and/or restrictions, and we'll do our best to
      accommodate.

      Kids: Welcome! The boy is now old enough to understand and play simple
      games, with a little guidance (Frog and Toad, Mancala, Brockian
      Ultra-Cricket). Too young for games with brightly-colored pieces that
      can be mistaken for candy (most German board games). [Proud sponsors
      of the Geek Parent Conspiracy]

      Stuff: We are set on folding tables, but could use folding chairs.

      Games: Bring _some_ games, but not _all_ your games. Last year, we ran
      out of room to sit! Feel freel to send me a list of the games you want
      to bring, and I'll coordinate to reduce the number of multiple copies.
      For example. we're cool on Cosmic Encounters (the new new one with the
      expansion).

      QUESTIONS?

      Just drop me an email and any difficulties can be overcome.

    • anu3bis
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2010
        Updates!

        1. Mike Dlott's as yet unnamed and unscheduled D&D game - see Mike!

        2. ENCORE!
        Quick, think of a song with the word "love" in it, and sing at least eight words of the song. Hurry, though -- the timer's running. You don't have to be able to carry a tune to play this game, just a willingness to dive in.
        • Six to sixteen players.
        • First printing rules, with local modifications.
        • Expected Time: Two hours run time.
        • Desired Slot: Friday, 9p-11p.

        3. "Storyville"
        • Players: 4-8.
        • System: Victorian Age Vampire (Masquerade)
        • Characters: Pregenerated, with Customization. Or — bring a period-appropriate character built with 30 freebie points.
        • Setting: 19th Century New Orleans
        • Summary: When Alderman Sidney Story consolidated all the vice in New Orleans into a single district along Basin Street, he thought he was improving the city's tarnished image. Instead, he created a playground for the Kindred, with all the comforts one could ask for. However, stranger things hold claim over the Louisiana night, and tonight, they come to collect their due. An entertainment for four to eight players. Expect voodoo, swamp creatures, and perhaps the odd zombi. Direct inquiries to jadasc@....
        • Experience: Beginners Welcome.
        • Expected Time: 4 hours.
        • Desired Slot: Saturday, 7p-11p.
      • balsamicdragon
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2010
          --- In bostongamers@yahoogroups.com, "anu3bis" <anu3bis@...> wrote:

          > Updates!
          >
          > 1. Mike Dlott's as yet unnamed and unscheduled D&D game - see Mike!

          Mike is running this game on Saturday! It will be D&D 3.5. It will not overlap with Jason's WOD game, so feel free to play in both!

          Viv