A minor announcement - re: NE_LARPers...

  • mr_amherst
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2008
      Some of you have heard my discussions on this list regarding this
      topic.

      The NE_LARPers mailing list (via Yahoogroups) will be
      closing/deleted/discontinued/shuttered/killfiled in the near future.

      Members on the list are being given a choice on "when", but it will be
      shuttered no later than December 31st, 2008.

      This _***will***_ not affect the NE_Larp blog community on LiveJournal.
      We simply are making a full transition to that style of community.

      With my work on 3 different Alternate Reality Game projects, I simply
      have no desire (nor time) to continue supporting an antiquated medium
      of communication beyond posting a notice here with the subject
      header "Calendar posted"

      (Someone else can answer the question about how I can get invited to
      work on 3 ARGs, but nary an invite (as a player) to a LARP game.. go
      fig)

      Signed,
      C.
    • Charlton Wilbur
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2008
        On Aug 1, 2008, at 1:09 PM, mr_amherst wrote:

        > (Someone else can answer the question about how I can get invited to
        > work on 3 ARGs, but nary an invite (as a player) to a LARP game.. go
        > fig)

        I started LARPing in 1995. I never got a formal invitation to play in
        any of them, unless you count a fellow player saying something like
        "Hey, I'm going to this LARP next week - you interested?"

        Perhaps the problem is in your expectations.

        Charlton

        --
        Charlton Wilbur
        cwilbur@...
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2008
          I wrote:
          > > (Someone else can answer the question about how I can get invited to
          > > work on 3 ARGs, but nary an invite (as a player) to a LARP game.. go
          > > fig)

          Charlton responded:
          > I started LARPing in 1995. I never got a formal invitation to play in
          > any of them, unless you count a fellow player saying something like
          > "Hey, I'm going to this LARP next week - you interested?"

          > Perhaps the problem is in your expectations.

          Considering that my expectations are at a simple acknowledgement of
          one's existence and perhaps interest in said activity?

          (Which most people can do with a *grunt* and a *nod*/*wink*)

          Hell, I don't even get the "I'm going.. you interested?" questions,
          even when I'm
          at a convention or post-game at a convention _and_ after someone in
          the LARP 'scene' has run into me or had their character engaged in a
          delicate game of wills against whatever persona I portrayed..

          Now having said that, I, at least, do my best to immerse myself into a
          particular character, so someone is more likely to go "Hey.. wait,
          weren't you the XXX in game YYY?"

          At this rate, I'd be willing to make a friendly wager on the matter
          over which would come first: an invite (casual or formal) to a game OR
          a published interview on some ARG project just completed..

          C.