Re: Intro

  • darkcser
    Message 1 of 76 , May 1, 2006
      Still there? I've been kind of swamped myself. My final project is
      due Friday, and I've been trying to squeeze in some Oblivion time as
      well.

      I'm rather surprised that there has not been an official Jin Yong/Gu
      Long RPG from Mainland China or Taiwan. Is it due to some sort of
      licensing limitation? There's been countless CRPGs including a MMORPG
      based off of their works. I can only assume that those have been
      officially licensed.

      Last year went I went back to Beijing I had a rather interesting
      conversation about D&D 3.5 with my wife's cousin. By interesting I
      mean that even with my poor 2nd grade grasp of Chinese I was able to
      understand most of what he was talking about. Terms like "gish" and
      DC were a bit difficult to translate for me though. My point is that
      there seems to be a decent population of PnP RPG players in China so
      why isn't there an official WuXia RPG?

      The hidden motive here is that with an official RPG it might finally
      settle the time honored debates like: YG vs. GJ vs. ZWJ or the
      deteoriation theory (e.g. DGSD Greats > ROCH Greats > SOD Greats).

      --- In bostongamers@yahoogroups.com, Chien Tu <nazbrutell@...> wrote:

      > My my, a kindred spirit!
      >
      > Ok, this reply will take awhile. It might even span multiple
      emails....

      > I base my game off of my own created system. The system is
      constantly evolving, and has been in the work for over 4 years now.
      I strive to set up a system that will adapt a belivable Jin Yong and
      Gu Long martial art world enviornment, and at the same time as
      simple as possible to avoid getting bogged down by tedius game
      mechanics. I also encourage my players to read the referenced
      books, and challenge them to point out flaws or missing elements that
      I could incorporate.

    • Steve
      Message 76 of 76 , May 1, 2007
        So is it okay if I've never played classic Traveller? I know a bit about the game, but I've never met a group that played it and gave it a try.

        Also, are we any closer to figuring out when you want to run and who will be playing? You mentioned meeting up in advance first I think? Just let me know when you want to do things and I'll figure out how to get the time from work. Maybe getting a bunch of us together to grab a bite to eat would be good?

        I'm excited that we might get a game going. It's been two years since I've been in a gaming group (since I moved to Boston in fact), so I'm looking forward to the possibility.

        --Steve--